Adding arrows to multi tree shape - so close but on extra arrowhead

Started by a_gunslinger, May 23, 2016, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_gunslinger

New to the downright complexity of Visio 2016.  Used a multitree connector to connect a simple 1x4 flowchart element.  I was able to add arrows to the end, but the arrow also appears on a part of the connector branch I dont want it to - see below.  Any way to remove the arrows from just that section?

They need a dumb persons basic stencil set ;^)

Surrogate

a_gunslinger

Thanks for the reply!  For some reason, when I hit Shift-F3 nothing occurs.

wapperdude

The multi-tree connector shape will not allow you to eliminate those undesired arrowheads.  The upward point arrow head is for unused connection.  The downward point is for the 1st line segment leading to the branching.  The shape is made from multiple geometry sections.  So, whatever line end is chosen will be applied to all geometry sections.

To avoid that, you need to draw separate connectors.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Here's simple example of smart shape.  It uses 1D lines instead of connectors.  That makes the corners more controllable, and allows single ended terminations.

It is based upon a multiple geometry approach.  A separate geometry section is used for each connection line.  There is a formula to hide the unused connection lines, as well as their ending control points.  Shape data allows you to set how many control points.

The example should provide enough info to add more line connections.  The Snap and Glue properties must be set to glue to shape geometry.

Enjoy.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

a_gunslinger

Thanks for all the information gentlemen.  It makes more sense now.   The 1D smart shapes will be more useful to me since Im barely scratching the surface of what Vision can do.