Background templates best practice and design tips?

Started by zipwill, February 06, 2019, 12:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zipwill

Hi,

I would like to create a background template that has a title block (I think) and dresses up the page.  Something with my logo and a border, etc...  Then a place for customer information, project name, etc....

What advice do you have for creating one?  Does anyone have a slick example to share?  Is there a way to automate the data entry part, or a way to simply add it?  I want it to look professional.  Should I settle in on a sized first - I think I will go 11 x 17.

It seems that settling in on a theme to be consistent is important to be consistent.

Thanks in advance.

zipwill

Thank you!

I have played with it a little - it looks you add various pieces of data in the title block element on the ribbon.  Very cool.

Am I correct it does not allow input for the owner, contractor or notes area?  Those are done manually?

Would it make sense to add a logo box before the notes box?

Thanks.

zipwill

Hi - does anyone have any feedback for me on my questions.

Thanks you in advance.

wapperdude

Most of the questions are personal preferences.

Generally, the background page is "static".  Once set, it doesn't change.  Typically, you don't want editing done directly.  So, for owner/contractor entries, this might be done with a pop-up form that can be filled  in.

For notes, update info, a separate page can be used to allow direct entry.

A standard sheet size is good.  Depends upon nature of work...some might benefit from larger size, others maybe smaller.

Theme is nice for consistency.  But, it can be limiting too.  So...

If it's personal use, then choose what you like.
If it's for a company, then they may have formatting preferences...specialized standards.
If it's for a product you're developing to sell to a general market place, well, yikes!, it needs a lot of flexibility.
Visio 2019 Pro

zipwill

Thank you for your reply.  I am developing this for my small (me) consulting company.  I do IT work. 

I am trying to get good with visio... but it is pretty layered.  I purchased some training videos (udemy) that were ok, but none of them go into much detail about technical drawings.  11 x 17 seems a good fit for what I do and can be scaled up if necessary x2, or so I understand. 

3 quick questions -
1) are there other good resources for learning Visio to do technical drawings?
2) this pop-up box you speak of...  is there are resource you could share that would help me get started?
3) Is there place to hire this kind thing out?  I have hired other small things done - like excel VBA stuff.  If you have a recommendation please pass it along.  I would rather do it all myself so I can own it, but programming pop ups may be too much of a rabbit hole.

Thanks for all your help.