Bi-directional data exchange - Visio 2010 / Access 2010 and/or SharePoint 2013

Started by pborgschulte, April 28, 2016, 11:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pborgschulte

Dear community,

I have "played" already with the shape data connected to an external data source. I use Access 2010. It seems however that the refresh only works into one direction, i.e. from Access to Visio. How about the other way round, i.e. updating the Access database table or SharePoint list with updated Visio shape data? Can this be activated somewhere?

Thanks!

Ciao,

Patrick

aledlund

"activated" - there is no native ability to round trip information between a linked source and visio. It would require custom code.
al

pborgschulte

Quote from: aledlund on April 28, 2016, 01:48:01 PM
"activated" - there is no native ability to round trip information between a linked source and visio. It would require custom code.
al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the feedback. I just googled a bit and it seems that there is a possibility when setting up an ODBC connection. I am trying this out now.

Ciao,

Patrick

jw76novice

Patrick,
I recall playing around with the Database Wizard a year or so ago, and it did handle data bi-directionally for me (Visio to Excel and vice versa), but I recall not liking how the interface worked for some reason.  I'd say you're on the right path and look forward to what you post next!
Visio 2013 Professional

Yacine

Hi Patrick,
I enclose a packaged zip file containing an Access DB, which does the bi-directional data exchange.
The key is to invoke Visio from Access, then create persistent objects of the active window and the selected shape.
The rest is plain VBA as if you were in Visio itself.

HTH,
Y.
Yacine