Space shape won't fill freeform shape

Started by Jennifer, April 28, 2016, 06:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I just tried to do something that I have done many times in the past -- use the space shape to calculate the area of a freeform closed shape. For some reason, it isn't working.

I created a moderately complex shape by tracing the outline of a graphic image. The outline consists of 45-50 line segments drawn with the pencil tool. I test that the shape is closed by adding a fill color. The shape fills correctly.

Next I place a space shape inside the freeform shape and run an Auto Size. But when I click on the Autosize option, the space shape remains as it was.

So there must be something wrong with my complex shape. What could it be? Is there a limit to the number of line segments that soace shape can handle? If so, what is it? And can I change it?

On another page, I created a simple freeform shape (5 line segments) and the space shape works perfectly.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

I have not been able to resolve this problem. I have attached a Visio document containing 2 pages. One shows the shape that does not work and the other a simpler shape that does.

I would appreciate any insight into why the one fails.

JuneTheSecond

I don't know what is Auto Size.
Any special application?

Your shapes "works" are grouped, but "not works" are not grouped.
I think this is the reason, if "Auto Size" means normal sizing in Visio.

If you like, please compare them using Drawing Explorer and shape sheet.
You would find the structural difference between them.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

Jennifer

Yoda,

Auto Size is a feature of the Space shape, which can be found in the Walls, Doors and Windows stencil. Right-clicking the shape displays a lot of options. The top one is Auto Size. If the shape is placed inside a closed shape, the Auto Size option will cause the shape to expand to fill the shape and display the area in whatever units are selected.

It doesn't work unless the shape to be measured is closed. I thought my shape was closed because I was able to apply a Fill, which I thought was only possible if the shape was closed. But on closed inspection, I discovered a small gap between two of the line segments. When I closed them, the Space shape worked.

I have attached an updated document. It has three pages:

Page 1, entitled "Not closed, auto size fails", contains the original shape with the gap. I have circled the gap with a red circle in the lower left corner. The Space shape inside the shape. I changed its fill to green so it will be easy to tell what is what on the next page.

In Page 2, entitled "Closed, auto size works", I closed the gap and ran the Auto Size function, which now works. It calculates the area as 75.7 sq in. I offset it slightly.

I am annoyed that the Fill function misled me.

On Page 3, entitled "Small gap won't fill", I tried to create another shape with a small gap that would take a Fill. I couldn't do it. The one shown has a smaller gap than my other shape, yet it will not fill.

What the %$#&* is going on? Grrrrrrrr >:(

JuneTheSecond

Do you mean fill with color by Fill?
If so, please note that fill color check does not always mean the shape is closed.
Your shape in page-3 "Small gap won't fill" can be filled with color.
Your cell Geometry1.NoFill is set to true.
If you change to false, you can fill the shape with color.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

Jennifer

Well I'll be damned. I see now that that setting gets changed automatically when a shape is closed. If I draw a shape using the line tool, that setting is True until I connect the last line segment, then it gets changed to False. I guess something I did must have caused that setting to get changed even though the shape was not closed. (sigh)

Thanks for the help.

Yacine

A very nice tool, I didn't know yet.

Select your shape, leave the mouse pointer on the line of the shape until Visio shows you the editing vertices of the shape.
Grab the open corner and pull to a new position, then back, so as to close the shape.
Your shape of page 3 closed perfectly, changed its filling to true and the area tool worked.
Yacine

Jennifer

Yes, the Space shape has been a very handy tool for me. I've done dozens of these traced shapes and never had a problem with it before. I see now that Visio changes the NoFill property from TRUE to FALSE when an open shape is closed. I assume that it must change it back to TRUE is the shape is reopened. I must have accidentally done something while tracing that shape that caused the NoFill setting to be set to FALSE even though the shape was not closed. I have never had that happen before.