How to recover a corrupted file?

Started by Trinity, April 25, 2016, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trinity

Hi all, here's the scenario:

Friday, 5:48 PM. Saving the last version of my file, then printing to PDF to send to my designer. Visio crashes. I think nothing of it. The file is saved, right?

5:49 PM. Check PDF. 0KB. Uh-oh. Reopen Visio and .vsdx file. Receive message:
"An error (275) occurred during the action Open Saved File. Visio cannot open the file or a component on the file because it is corrupt."

Troubleshooting so far:
The file is about 1/3 the size it once was. I've tried saving and opening it as a vdx to no avail.
I've turned of macros and add-ins.
I've switched between computers a few times on the new gig, and I discovered I hadn't turned out autosave on this machine, so that's not an option.  :'(
A look for temp files hasn't revealed anything--yet. Any ideas here?

Is there any hope or voodoo for recovering a corrupt file?

Thanks in advance,
-Trinity

yn.coder

If have not any back up, the only option is some kind of Disk uneriser utility.

purplegerbil

Hi,
I have two ways to fix this. Try the first, if that doesn't work then the second will.

1:
Rename your visio file extension to .zip i.e. rename myFile.vsdx to myFile.vsdx.zip

Create a new folder

Open the zip file and copy the contents into a new folder.

Create a new zip file with the contents of the folder (all extracted files and folders)

Rename the zip to a vsdx file. i.e. rename NewFolder.zip to myFile.vsdx

Try to open the new file with Visio.

If this didn't fix the corruption (it does work for some errors), then try the below solution.

2:

You will need the WinRAR application - Free/trial version is ok.

Rename your visio file extension to .zip i.e. rename myFile.vsdx to myFile.vsdx.zip

Click your right mouse button over the zip file Click on "Repair archive", or press Alt+R.
Click on Browse button and select a folder where you want to keep the repaired archive.
There will be two options ("Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and "Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP").
Select as ZIP
Click on OK button.

Once done rename the new zip file by removing .zip i.e. rename myFile.vsdx.zip to myFile.vsdx

Fingers crossed the Visio file should now load  8)

Kumar007

Thanks. The above solution is wonderful and worked in my case. I am surprised if someone used it and it was successful and yet they did not thank the solution provider.

simon_m_londoner

Amazingly, the second option using WinRAR, has worked for me, allowed me to recover a whole days work.

I had to open WinRAR to find the repair option, did not find in the context menu, but nevertheless it worked,

Great tip, many thanks,

Simon :D

kellogs758

Quote from: purplegerbil on June 08, 2016, 09:18:14 AM
Hi,
I have two ways to fix this. Try the first, if that doesn't work then the second will.

1:

Create a new folder

Open the zip file and copy the contents into a new folder.

Create a new zip file with the contents of the folder (all extracted files and folders)

Rename the zip to a vsdx file. i.e. rename NewFolder.zip to myFile.vsdx

Try to open the new file with Visio.

If this didn't fix the corruption (it does work for some errors), then try the below solution.

2:

You will need the WinRAR application - Free/trial version is ok.

Click your right mouse button over the zip file Click on "Repair archive", or press Alt+R.
Click on Browse button and select a folder where you want to keep the repaired archive.
There will be two options ("Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and "Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP").
Select as ZIP
Click on OK button.

Once done rename the new zip file by removing .zip i.e. rename myFile.vsdx.zip to myFile.vsdx

Fingers crossed the Visio file should now load  8)

The second option worked for me first try - this has allowed me to recover days worth of work. Thank you so much.