Help! Boss demands Visio

Started by Gigiallin, April 11, 2016, 12:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gigiallin

Years ago, my boss used to use an old version of Visio to do technical drawings. I've been tasked with tracking it down. Through the research I've done, it seems that newer versions of Visio are more for flow charts and not technical drawings. Am I correct in my assumptions? What versions should I be looking at? I know there will be a limit on what versions I can use since all our company computers run newer versions of Windows, but any suggestion would be very helpful. Any suggestions of comparable drag and drop drawing programs would be useful as well.

Surrogate

For my purposes i use visio 2003 and 2010. Version 2010 have some usefull features, but in not critical. Newer versions haven't useful features for technical drawings (IMHO)

Problem: you can't buy version older then 2013

aledlund

I guess we have  to start with the most basic question.
What do you consider a technical drawing to be, what is the content?
al Edlund

Gigiallin

aledlund - Things he'd be using it for would be sketches of piping systems, modification to heavy equipment (ie adding teeth to a rake attachment), some slope models. Basically a dummy version of CAD for people who aren't particularly computer savy (don't tell him I said that about him ;))

Surrogate - Thanks! I suspected that the recent version wouldn't have what he was looking for. Are there any drag and drop drawing programs that are comparable to older versions of Visio (in that they are good for technical drawings)

aledlund

Gigiallin,
The basic drawing elements have remained very stable over the years. The major changes have been the withdrawal of enterprise tools such as modeling (code based smart shapes). Piping is still there and the ability to alter shapes has not changed. The laater versions v2013 and v2016 were changed more in format with a focus on pretty versus function. Short answer most of what you asked for is still there, just covered pretty miserably by the marketing  materials.
al

Gigiallin

Is there a reliable demo for Visio 2013 that I can have him take a look at to see if it's what he wants? I did a quick Google search for it and came up with sites I'm unfamiliar with and therefore don't trust. I did find the 2016 demo on 365.

Thanks!

Surrogate

Gigiallin

Our company computers are currently running Windows 2007 and Office 2013.

Surrogate

Before installing visio 2016, read more about compatability Office 2013 and Visio 2016 !

Gigiallin

Yes, that's why I was wondering about an available demo for Visio 2013.