How to resize SVG in a DITA context

Started by ChrisBrewster, April 01, 2016, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisBrewster

Within my group, I am pushing for the use of SVG graphics, for all the advantages of vector graphics. One of the most important is that they can be resized with no loss of resolution.

But in practical terms I have trouble doing this. I tried various ways of resizing and rescaling within Visio, but I couldn't achieve a uniform change of size for the whole image. I believe Adobe Illustrator can do what I have in mind, but moving these to Illustrator has its own problems.

This is for use within DITA (XML) documents, so HTML techniques don't apply. Anyone with experience doing this in DITA?

Yacine

Hi Chris,
interesting problem.
Can you tell more about the whole scenario and what you're doing with the SVG in Visio? Respectively, how's the workflow?
Yacine

Nikolay

And besides, could you probably provide some info on what is DITA and what relation it has to SVG?

ChrisBrewster

DITA is a use of XML that's planned for technical documentation. I'm doing my figures in Visio in the normal way, and save as SVG. The advantage of SVG is, of course, that it's a vector format so can be resized at will with no loss of resolution. But this environment treats the size as a single absolute. The problem might be specific to DITA or to a particular implementation of DITA (Astoria). What I need to investigate is whether DITA can specify an output size for the SVG, but I haven't had a chance to do this.

Yacine

Just guessing: The problem is neither Dita nor SVG, but Astoria.
It's the way Astoria is trying to publish the SVGs.
That's what you need to investigate. If it was only HTML, then resizing the canvas should do, but with Astoria???

One more thing: you may need the clean the SVG prior to using it in another environment. There are some tools out there for this job. (https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=SVG+cleaner)

HTH,
Y.
Yacine