Is it possible to have separate fields in Tag expression?

Started by Donald, March 03, 2016, 09:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald

Hello guys,
I have problem which makes me crazy, so I'm desperately looking for some help.
In my drawing, there are thousands of the same shapes but each with different number. I've created Tag expression like this:  FB-Ωα:[Counter] and at the end of the work I've just renumbered all shapes. Still everything OK
My problem is that sometimes I need and expression without  "Ωα" and my idea was just to delete it in the drawing. But is is not possible. I can just delete whole displayed text at once, but not just parts of it. Is there any possible how to separate the text expression to separate text fields?

Thank you very much in advance, L.

Donald

Or it can be also solved in opposite way...is it possible create own Tag which is not overwritten by document tag format when is shape placed into drawing but with working numbering (according to tag number)?? Then I could create tag from different fields and each field can be deleted separately in drawing..

Yacine

#2!
If you're using the P&ID solution from Visio, you have the possibility to create a new tag. Do so for the tag without Ωα.
Consider however, that the numbering would be a separate one.
Yacine

Donald

hello Yacine and thank you. I had the same idea, but with separate tag, renumbering of whole project at the end (to be sure that you have unique number for each shape) is not so attractive anymore:(.
I don't know why Visio work in this way with tags. Why it is not the same as text fields. Than it would be possible to create tag from different shape data and at the end of the work after renumbering just delete data you don't need for specific shape. But thank you, now I see that I don't need to look for solution anymore, it doesn't exist:).

Yacine

Hi Donald, I do a lot of tagging - the whole long day ;).
And I learned very fast not to rely on the built in solution.
Write you own routine to number the shapes.
Yacine

Donald

yeah, it would be great, but there is a tiny problem, I have no idea how to do that:))
But at the moment, I can live with the information that there is not in-built solution for my topic:)