bidirectional or mutual gluing

Started by Bald Eagle, February 15, 2016, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bald Eagle

At the moment, I'm trying to determine if and how two objects (right now connectors)
{what's the difference between a line and a connector?}
can be glued to each other rather than the automatic type behaviour where when one endpoint gets dragged to the other connector's endpoint, one gets glued to the other (red color) but the "receiving" connector's endpoint stays green.

What I'm trying to do is get a quadrilateral with corners that can be repositioned, but the "shape" will stay closed.
I tried to copy the formulas from a red-ended connector to a green one in the GlueInfo section of the shapesheet
=_XFTRIGGER(Line connector.65!EventXFMod)
But that didn't change the color or seem to accomplish the gluing either.

It's hard to track this down, as so much information is fragmented across different websites and forum posts, etc.

Many thanks to anyone who can give a good reference, example, vsd, or diagram to explain how this works and what I'm (<Snape> ..... OB-viously. </Snape>) missing.    :)

wapperdude

A conector is a line with code behind it,  plus some additional features (which could be created in the line's shapesheet).  For basic drawing needs,  the line is preferred.   For connectivity needs,  obviously the connector.

One of the connector features is its dynamic rerouting.  That trends to make it less suitable for simple shapes,  such as  Quadralaterals.

You can take any shape,  square, triangle, etc, and move one or more vertices.   Select pencil tool,  hover over the vertex and select.   Hold shift key down to add more vertices. Then drag to move.  Make sure you're in drag mode and not draw mode, this can be switched by mouse clicking.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro