How to display text at specific time?

Started by ccuddihy, February 09, 2016, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccuddihy

How can I make Visio display text (or a shape) at a specific time of day?  Mom's having trouble understanding what time of day it is and if the dinning room is serving breakfast.  So,  I'd like to have a timeline or clock that will in show big friendly letters  BREAKFAST TIME! from 7:30 to 9:00  and such.   I've downloaded wapperguy's TimeLine NOW thingy, but have no clue how to connect text to it.
Any help? 

Yacine

The trick is to understand how to calculate with time in the shapesheet.
Check this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff767987.aspx

Draw a simple rectangle
Add to it a custom property (eg "prop.Msg" for message)
In the value cell of prop.msg write: =IF(AND(TIMEVALUE(NOW())>=TIMEVALUE("7:30"),TIMEVALUE(NOW())<=TIMEVALUE("9:00")),"BREAKFAST TIME","")
Select the rectangle and insert the newly created field.
Yacine

ccuddihy

Thanks Yacine.
But I'm gonna need some spoonfeeding.  I'm stuck at step 2.  Here's what I'm doing.
1. Draw rectangle.
2. Select rectangle, Inset tab, Field, custom formula.
3. in Custom formula field type Prop.Msg
Results in ERROR IN FIELD.
So,  where have I gone off the rails?

Yacine

Right, sorry for that.
You need to set Visio in developer mode (google it, if you don't know how)
Right click the rectangle, click "Shapesheet".
In the shapesheet, right click, then "add section", chose "user section".
In the newly created section add the formula described above. Name the row to your wishes by clicking its foremost left cell.
The so prepared row, can now be used in the drawing window, where you'll select the rectangle, insert a field, etc.

I understand this seems difficult and complicated, but don't give up at this first hurdle, you'll discover a bunch of magical stuff to do within an otherwise boring drawing software.

Cheers,
Y.
Yacine

ccuddihy

Great, it works.  I did however insert a Shape Data section because I couldn't find User and User-defined cells weren't happy with Prop.Msg.   Your formula does exactly what I hoped for! :)

Thanks!