CHANGE NAME IN "DRAWN BY" TITLE BLOCK SHAPE

Started by ricoma, January 12, 2016, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricoma

The visio extra "drawn by" shape adds the name of the current user. Some peoples names are quite lengthy and take up too  much space, How do I change it to automatically use their initials instead?

Surrogate

may by just use REPLACE ?

you can find this feature in drop-list with command FIND (at top right corner)

Yacine

I don't know the shape you're referring to, neither the scenario of your solution, but I could imagine that you could modify the shape in such a way that your users get informed that they need to insert their initials instead of their full name.

Now if your shape pulls the name from Visio's settings, then it could check for the length of the name and if it's longer than a certain amount replace it by a message.
Alternatively you may truncate the name automatically.
Yacine

ricoma

What I am referring to is the title block shapes that you access through; "more shapes" - "visio extras" - "titleblocks" - "Drawn by". When you place the shape in the page it populates with whatever name the user was given. So if the computer tech named your account Iamsuchacleverguy Smith, that is what is going in the titleblock. What I want is to simply not use that variable and  switch it to just initials. Which from our example would be IS. How do I do that besides the OBVIOUS way of over typing it?

wapperdude

There is no simple way to get the initials.  Plus, multiple people could have same initials.  The simple is to just double click the shape and type in desired text.  Otherwise, you'll need to modifiy the shape and write a VBA macro to extract capital letters.  For example, say you just want 1st and last name initials.  Grab 1st letter is easy.  Then you need  to go to the end of the text and proceed backward until you come to 1st upper case letter.  Presumably that's the beginning of the last name, and assumes you read from left to right.  Then, use these as your new entries.

Don't think there is a shapesheet only solution.  Keeping the macro associated with the shape is a bit of a trick too.

I vote for overtyping.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ricoma