Is "Send to Back" and "Bring to Front" configurable from the shape sheet?

Started by ThirdDimension, January 10, 2016, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdDimension

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to configure an object to have precedent over another object with regards to "send to back" and "bring to front"?

I would like to drag a shape from my stencils and always have it "to front" in relationship to the other objects on the page.

Thanks  3rd D

Surrogate

please try find in DoCmd/DOCMD Commands
UPD:
Quote from: http://ovisio.ru/wp-content/files/description.pdfDOCMD(1045) - shape>bring forward
DOCMD(1046) - shape>bring to front
DOCMD(1047) - shape>send backward
DOCMD(1048) - shape>send to back

Nikolay

Quote from: ThirdDimension on January 10, 2016, 05:52:25 PM
Is there a way to configure an object to have precedent over another object with regards to "send to back" and "bring to front"?
I would like to drag a shape from my stencils and always have it "to front" in relationship to the other objects on the page.

Hi, it is like that by default (when you drop an object from a stencil, by default it becomes topmost), no need to do anything extra.
If it's not like this for you then this means that you already have some non-default logic in your shapes.

Paul Herber

I think ThirdDimension wants the shape to stay topmost even when other shapes are added to the page.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

JohnGoldsmith

Hi,

Well if Paul's right, and you're on 2010 or above then you might want to look at the DisplayLevel cell.  This takes a number from –32767 to +32767 and allows you to define z-order groups.  Existing structured diagramming shapes make use of this with Callouts being 25000 and Containers being -25000 (standard shapes are 0 by default).  The cell has no effect when you change it directly but appears to be read on drop (which includes copy and paste). 

So, for example, if you look at the attached doc, I've created three masters and set a DisplayLevel value for each one (1000, 2000, 3000).  As you then drop the instance shapes, the grouping is maintained even though the order in which you do it may be different.  Note that, as this article points out, if the user continues to push the send to back/front button, then the shape will be pushed out into the global (page) scope and act as normal.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

John
John Goldsmith - Visio MVP
http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/

ThirdDimension

Hi,

Yes, Paul is correct.  I would like the priority to remain "on top" even when more shapes are dropped on page.

I need to do this because I make periodic adjustments to objects after they have been dropped.  The "on top" priority changes when objects are moved on the page.

I will into adjusting the DisplayLevel Cell - Thanks John

ThirdDimension

Update,

John's solution is exactly what I was looking for.  I can now drop items in any order, and keep "on top" priorities entacted.

I am able to move, connect, disconnect, CTL C shapes and keep the relationships.

Thanks John, and everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!

3rd D

qholmes

msn81

This is great!

However - I'm having a related problem;

I have [grouped and overlapping] shapes linked to data - i.e. the Shape is a grouping of a Front (F) transparent rectangle and a Back (B) rectangle (with lines making an appearance of a cube).

In between F and B, I have an Icon (I) from my own made Icon Set, which updates based on the imported User-Defined shape data.  Every time I link the shape to a new row of imported data the I jumps back on top, where I want it to stay between F and B  (or - at least, stay behind F).

I've played around with the shape data for the Master Icon and the shape itself, but can't seem to fix this problem.  Any solutions?

Using 2013 Professional.

Thanks
Mark

vojo

what is the front (F) rectangle for?  Since transparent, what purpose does it serve?