Hyperlinks broken when Save As Web Page

Started by bhcohen, February 03, 2009, 01:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhcohen

We have a Visio document with hyperlinks that allow the user to navigate from page to page within the same document.  For example, on "Page3" there is a (relative) hyperlink attached to a shape that allows the user to navigate to "Page1"

The hyperlinks work fine when run within Visio.  When I invoke "Save As Web Page.." some of the hyperlinks continue to work properly when the web page is viewed in IE but others do not. 

Looking at the generated HTML, the pages with inoperable links have HREF="" target="_top" for the link.

Tinkering with this, it seems like the problem lies in the target of the hyperlink, i.e. the page the hyperlink points to. 

Whenever I attempt to create a hyperlink that points to a particular page in my document and invoke "Save As Web Page" I get the empty HREF in the HTML.  The hyperlink works within Visio, just not when a Web page is generated.

In Visio, looking at the ShapeSheet for shapes with a hyperlinks. I see no difference between the Hyperlinks section for shapes with hyperlinks that work in the Web page and shapes with hyperlinks that don't work, other than the page it points to.  The only difference is the 'SubAddress' cell.

So.. it seems like I have a "poison page" that when configured as the target of a hyperlink, doesn't translate into the Web page...

Where should I be looking to determine *why* this page is a poisoned page?

Thanks,
   Bruce

scott

The problem could be as simple as the page name, believe it or not. Visio won't complain if you use certain punctuation characters in a page name -- but hyperlinks to that page name won't work in the html version. It's been a while since I fooled around with this but I believe any of the following in a page name will cause a problem:
   /  ?  &  <  >

One other gotcha -- I've also had problems that were "invisible" but prevented page-to-page links from working. The problem was a space character at the very end of the page name; invisible unless you double click the page name tab and look for it. Once again, it's been a while since I tested this and it's possible that it's been corrected in Visio 2007 but it's worth looking for.