SNAIL-SLOW SCREEN!

Started by RudySchneider, October 21, 2015, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RudySchneider

<RANT ON>
You'll see why in a moment, but I tried searching for "pan" (only) on the forums and got anything and everything but.  So, while this may have been asked and answered before, I need an answer soon, before I beat my keyboard into submission...
<RANT OFF>

I don't recall making any changes to Visio (2013, BTW) itself or to my computer, but just within the past couple of days or so, everything graphics/video-related when working with Visio has slowed to a crawl!  And before you ask, this is with any drawing.

For instance:
1.  Using the Pan and Zoom window, I used to be able to smoothly pan and zoom across my drawing.  Now it moves in fits-n-starts.
2. When I click-and-drag text or an object, it hovers over the final position and takes a good second or two before the semi-transparent image goes "solid."
3.  Rather than quickly stepping across the screen, motion "stutters" when holding down an arrow key.

Any help?

There are no problems, only opportunities

wapperdude

When you say no changes, that means (???)...
1. No Visio updates
2. No Windows updates
3. No updates to other programs
4. No intentional software downloads, or new installs

Have you scanned for a virus?

Have you tried repairing/reinstalling Visio?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RudySchneider

Well, it's my company laptop.  And since I work for a defense contractor I have virtually no control over updates, and even installing new programs is tightly controlled.  But, since you mentioned it, I could try repairing/re-installing.

<EDIT>  Now that you mention it, there was a Microsoft update for Visio that came through the system a couple days ago.  I didn't make the connection, but that could be it.  I'm gonna try a re-install (prior to the network software update) to see if that helps...

<EDIT my EDIT>  Nope, a re-install didn't make a difference.  So now I'm thinkin' it must be a computer-based issue.  Think I'll see whether I have the same issue at home on my own computer...

wapperdude

...that must mean you have an IT group handling computer configuration, software install, maintenance, etc.

The typical culprits are some sort of corruption, software conflict, hardware failure, or network, uh, monitoring.  But sounds, initially, like something associated with video driver/interface.  But, I'm certainly not an authority on such matters.   

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RudySchneider

Yep, layers of security can bog things down, for sure, but this is new.

Yeah, I originally thought something went haywire with the video setup.

Oh, well, if it persists, I'll just complain to IT.

RudySchneider

I believe I know what led to this "sudden" change in Visio response, so I thought I'd at least follow-up, just in case someone else has the same query.

I was tasked at work with updating and/or recreating roughly 90 pages of electronic schematics and block diagrams.  The new stuff was definitely not the problem.  The legacy stuff that was either usable as-is, or with some minor-to-major modification turned out to be the problem.  Here's why:

It wasn't originally created in Visio, and was copied and/or imported into Visio as a vector graphic.  This resulted in a LOT of data that the program had to keep track of while manipulating anything on the screen.