Paste Special Microsoft Visio Drawing

Started by Malcolm Debono, September 30, 2015, 10:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Debono

Hi I have a problem when using paste special>Microsoft visio drawing. There is no problem carrying out the command but I get the object turning blue please see attached. If I zoom either in or out it shows as it should depending on the zoom %. I have been putting up with it for some time but I wondered if someone could please help me.

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Unfortunately, I'm still at V2007.  What are you pasting the Visio drawing to?  If you're copying a Visio drawing into Visio, just paste, don't paste special as Visio drawing.  Pretty sure that's a bad idea. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

No, this happens also with excel sheets.
Yacine

wapperdude

Pasting into Visio via paste special as Visio object forces you to open another session of Visio from within Visio...why would you do that?  From within Visio, just use normal paste...it's not necessary to do the special paste.  I believe it's bad practice.

If you're pasting into another application, that's different, because you want to open the Visio object with Visio for editing.  That is what the paste special is for...theoretically.

But why bother?  Just regular paste works fine.  In Excel, both pasting methods are treated as EMBED("Visio Drawing").   Double clicking either launches Visio for editing.  Same with Word.  There is no advantage to the paste special that I noticed.  Perhaps just lucky???  Perhaps I've been sniffing too much glue, uh, paste.   ;D

So, then, is this a paste special issue...if so, stop using it...at least try not using it.  It's this a V2013 issue?   Since I'm limited to V2007, I can't say...but I've not encountered the problem so far.

Well, we'll see how badly I've stirred up the ol' hornets nest.  😨 😈

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Malcolm Debono

Hi This never used to happen even with Visio 2013 it started about 6 - 9 months ago before that never had a problem.
I use paste special so that I can paste a (say) 1:20 scale onto a page with (say) 1:100.
Sometimes I need a larger scale on the same page.
If I use paste the scale (say) 1:20 changes to whatever the page scale is which is not what I want.
I have been doing it that way for a long time, always open to ideas.

wapperdude

That's an interesting situation,, and I can see the appeal of the paste special...simple, quick.  I guess the obvious, and perhaps rhetorical question would be, any Visio updates in that time period that you might associate with this problem, chronologically?

When you make your selection to copy/paste, you could try grouping first.  Then, after pasting, you can stretch the group.  Not nearly as convenient, but ought to eliminate the blue rectangle of anonymity.   :P

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Malcolm Debono

Hi Thank you for replying no updates other than normal windows stuff maybe something happened on one of those. It is a problem that I have worked with but it can be annoying sometimes particularly when it all worked without a problem before.