Enlarged Viewport or SectionView of a Map

Started by astrahim, September 29, 2015, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrahim

Does anyone know if there is a smart-shape (box) which has the ability to zoom in from a map that is either on the same page or on another page or even a background page? I have been looking around but have not had any success.

I would love to have a map on a page, a small square Box-1 that i can move around the map and have another bigger Box-2 that views the section of the map zoomed in, and as I change the size of Box-1 bigger/smaller on the map, the view on Box-2 automatically updates and zooms in/out as necessary to a specific scale.

Is this even a possible thing?

~A~

astrahim

It would look something like this. See Attached.

Noisy Cricket

I believe June the 2nd has some for of magnifying glass that could do the trick.
Not sure if it only works on visio shapes or also on pictures.

Some links to earlier discussions:
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1818.msg8140#msg8140
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=587.0

Good luck!

Nikolay

Quote from: astrahim on September 29, 2015, 04:54:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a smart-shape (box) which has the ability to zoom in from a map that is either on the same page or on another page or even a background page? I have been looking around but have not had any success.

I would love to have a map on a page, a small square Box-1 that i can move around the map and have another bigger Box-2 that views the section of the map zoomed in, and as I change the size of Box-1 bigger/smaller on the map, the view on Box-2 automatically updates and zooms in/out as necessary to a specific scale.

Is this even a possible thing?

Most probably not possible as a smart-shape.
"Smart Zoom" a-la google maps or Autocad "viewports" is something that does not exist in Visio.

Note that Visio has a "Zoom" window though - maybe that is what you are looking for?
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Zoom-and-pan-in-a-diagram-1850e288-6646-4e46-a48f-d8f8c4971acf

astrahim

Noisy Cricket - you had it right. I guess there is nothing like in AutoCAD or not even configurable to something that does it.

But your posts do help. Looks like it can be done but not automated for quickness.

~A~

Yacine

Well I think it is possible.
Check the attachment.
Yacine

Nikolay

Well, it is possible with a predefined picture shape.
What I meant was, it is not possible in general case with arbitrary shapes, i.e. not possible to create a shape like "Pan and Zoom" window (or "ViewPort" shape in Autocad) which will show a fragment of a large drawing. For example, if I put a rectangle over the picture in your sample, it will not show up in the "zoom" shape.

Also, this is approach is extremely inefficient - you need to have a max-resolution image.
"smart zoom" or "deep zoom" like google/bing maps for example adopt image resolution to the current scale, so you never see you the "whole" image data (just imagine how big is the most detailed image of the surface of Earth in google maps). That's why I'm saying that Visio does not actually support "smart zoom"/"deep zoom", which is normally essential for maps.

Yacine

Hi Nikolay,
You are right in every point, but my solution is still a correct answer to Astrahim's question.
Yacine

Nikolay

I just thought that since astrahim was talking about Autocad he actually meant something like Autocad's "viewport" feature.

Yacine

Hi Nikolay,
no doubt, there is no perfect zooming solution in Visio as one can find in Autocad or Google Maps. I just wanted to point out that there can be a solution in Visio.
Beside this the zoom behaviours in Autocad and Google Maps are also very different from one another and cannot do what the other does. Each software has its pros and cons. So is Visio.
Just to follow my initial idea - one could thing of having different images for the overview and the detail. Even more - one could show written details depending on the area chosen on the overview.
I could even imagine loading different detail images dynamically, depnding on the zoom level.

I'm not bored enough to work every thing out by myself now, but may be astrahim ... ?
Yacine

astrahim

Yacine, this is exactly what I was looking for and imagined. In fact, it's almost too perfect.

Thanks guys.

Case closed!! :)

astrahim

I just don't really understand how it works.

How can I change to a different map, or zoom more or less?

~A~

astrahim

I would love to get involved in working out all the kinks, but i have zero experience in coding and shapesheet.

~A~

Yacine

I first had to set up a reference to a region in the original shape.
I chose to nest the original image in a group and add to it a control point.
You could as well add two. To get a rectangle, check this post: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5450.0

In the zoom shape, I played with the imgoffsetx and imgoffsety fields:
=GUARD(-ImgWidth*Sheet.3!Controls.Row_1/Sheet.3!Width)
=GUARD(-ImgHeight*Sheet.3!Controls.Row_1.Y/Sheet.3!Height)
Sheet.3 being the original shape.

But there's plenty of room for improvement. You could start by trying to propperly center the zoom around the target.

HTH,
Y.
Yacine