Shapes rotate when moved in 19" rack

Started by jaguarpawl, September 22, 2015, 03:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarpawl

I have created a stencil of an Input/Output (I/O) chassis made by a manufacturer who won't provide them for their customers.  The chassis snaps into a 19" rack shape.  This chassis houses I/O modules which I have also created using artwork.  The modules snap into the chassis with connection points in the chassis at the appropriate places.  It all works and looks great.  The problem arises when I move the chassis to a different "U" location on the 19" rack.  The modules rotate around their connection points (see before/after photos).  Sometimes the modules do not rotate, behavior is completely random.  I have tried locking rotation, height, etc. of modules without success.  Also, if I group or simply select the chassis and modules together to move, the modules don't rotate, but I lose the ability of the chassis to "snap" into the rack.  Any ideas on how to solve this?

Surrogate

jaguarpawl

Updating my own post, the modules connect to the chassis using PinX, mating with a connection point I added to the chassis.

jaguarpawl

Here's a better capture.  Also notice how the modules that were rotated in the 1st "after" picture didn't rotate this time, and others that didn't, did.

wapperdude

Care to upload a simple Visio drawing?  .vsd format preferred.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jaguarpawl

Appreciate the help.  Couldn't upload a .vsd as the minimum file size (1.1MB) exceeds the 500K attachment limit.  So, here's an abbreviated version of the stencil with a generic 19" rack thrown in to play with.

Remember, the problem arises when I move just the chassis to another "U" (connection point) in the rack.  If you grab all the objects they don't rotate, but you lose the ability to "snap" the chassis into the rack.

Surrogate

select shassie shape, and set protect rotation !
Menu Format -> Protection

jaguarpawl

Thanks Surrogate!

The funny thing is, being the geek that I am, I checked to ensure the problem existed today BEFORE I tried your suggestion.  And sure enough, they are not rotating at all!  Maybe the cold reboot of the workstation after shutting it down over the weekend solved the problem??!?  I'm getting Visio 2016 soon anyway, maybe it won't behave this way...

Surrogate

Quote from: jaguarpawl on October 05, 2015, 05:34:49 PMI'm getting Visio 2016 soon anyway, maybe it won't behave this way...
i am not sure that it can help !

jaguarpawl

Update:
Have been working with Visio 2016 for several months now and am working on a project that uses these same I/O chassis and card shapes. The rotation problem when moving a "built-up" chassis still exists.

But now I am experiencing a similar problem whenever I put a card shape in.  If I try to insert a card into a chassis, AND there is another card in the chassis to the left of my insertion point, the new card rotates around the connection point about 20 degrees.  So now I am forced to pull out all the cards to the left of the insertion point and rebuild from right to left.  But I have found the fix for this: Turn off "Glue to.. Shape Geometry"  in Ribbon/View/Visual Aids.  Just sharing...