Setting Data Graphic as Default?

Started by plupton6, September 15, 2015, 07:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plupton6

Hi,
I'm using Visio for business process diagrams with data in Excel linked to shapes.  Diagrams get quite complex with up to 50 shapes on a page and 20 or more pages.  The data has many fields for various uses and I am showing just 3 of the fields in the shape - an Activity Number; Activity Name; and Reference Number.  The Reference No is unique and is used as the link between shape and data.
I would like to be able to Show or Hide the Activity No and/or Ref No and use Text Callout to do this.  I have created Master Shapes and saved them to a stencil, then build diagrams from the stencil.
If one builds the diagrams over a day or so, it all works fine - Visio uses the same Data Graphic consistently, and by editing the Data Graphic once, I can Show/Hide the fields for all shapes on all pages.  Simple and effective! :D
Problem comes if a diagram is edited/changed after a few days - then when dragging a  new shape from the stencil - Visio assigns a new Data Graphic to the one or more shapes added.   This makes the ability to Show/Hide fields cumbersome as one then has to edit several Data Graphics. >:(
I am currently using Visio 2013 - and have used both vsd and vsdx files.  The same problem occurs with both file types.

Is there a way to set/force Visio to consistently use the same Data Graphic through building of the diagrams as well as subsequent adding/changing over time?
I am reasonably familiar with Visio functionality, but am not familiar with Shape Sheets and their use.  I am assuming that this would be the place to set a default.  I find on the Document Shape Sheet in the 'User-defined Cells' section there is an entry
User.msvLastAppliedDataGraphic' and the original Data Graphic is in the Value field.  But I have added shapes and a new Data Graphic has been created, but is not listed in the Shape Sheet.

Would really appreciate any guidance?