Main Menu

Measuring Tool

Started by tbean, August 18, 2015, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbean

Does anyone know if the measuring tool can display in inch fractions instead of inch decimal? I have a calculator that converts decimal to fraction but it's time consuming

Working with Visio 2013 Pro

Terry

wapperdude

Yes it can.

Oh! 

Right click the measure shape, then set Units:  Feet-Inch (1'-0").  That ought to do it... in V2007, anyway.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

tbean

Hi Wapperdude,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately in Visio 13 Pro the programmers decided to eliminate that option. This is closest I can come to you're recommendation; Drag the Measuring Tool to the drawing>right click on the highlighted measuring tool>on the Data drop down list, select Define Shape Data>select the options arrow to the right of the Format window>select Fraction. This still does not display it in inch fractions, so....
To see the measuring tool displayed in inch fractions, I have to select the Shape Data Window box under Data>Shape Data Window. This shows the length of the highlighted measuring tool in fractions of an inch. What a hassle.

If I could make a suggestion for the next version, it would be this:
File>Options>Advanced>Display: Defaults Units: cm, M, feet-inch, inch ect, ect.

That way whatever measurement you're working in, that's what would be displayed including the Size and Position window where you can change the length right there in the window

Terry

wapperdude

Unfortunately, I don't have V2013...perhaps that's fortunately.  Anyway, I can't comment on these sorts of specifics.  I am amazed that so many fundamental things seem to have been dropped.

Perhaps other V2013 victims, uh, users, might have some useful inputs.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

tbean

Yes, I'm hoping so.  I haven't tried to contact the Microsoft Visio geeks yet. I'll give this a day or two before trying that.
Have a nice day
T

JuneTheSecond

In Visio 2013, too, horizontal or vertical dimensions have such option.
But measuring tool does not, I recommend you to use dimension tools.
I don't exactly remember how they were, but I think it was the same in older Visio.

I think it is not possible for you to add unit formats option to the measuring tool.
But it might need you very hard work in referring to the shapesheet of dimension tool because of very complicated user cells.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

Paul Herber

Quote from: tbean on August 20, 2015, 07:00:30 PM
Unfortunately in Visio 13 Pro the programmers decided to eliminate that option.

I doubt the programmers had any say in the matter. One does wonder about the sort of gimboids that Microsoft employs in its marketing departments.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

tbean

Hi JuneTheSecond,
I apologize for not knowing how to put quotes in. Anyway, referring to your 2 quotes:
"In Visio 2013, too, horizontal or vertical dimensions have such option.
But measuring tool does not, I recommend you to use dimension tools."

Yes, you're right. The horizontal and vertical dimension shapes do give the measurements in fractions and that's what I've been using in place of the measuring tool.

"I think it is not possible for you to add unit formats option to the measuring tool.
But it might need you very hard work in referring to the shapesheet of dimension tool because of very complicated user cells."

I've also looked at the shape sheet for the tool and decided not to pursue the reconfiguration of the shape in fear of getting lost in the programming and making he shape completely unusable, being fairly new to the program.

T