Setting line styles for Autoconnect / Quick Shape behaviors

Started by 2020Visio!, August 23, 2015, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2020Visio!

I really like to use the Autoconnect / Quick Shape feature of Visio. Is it possible to set the line styles (color/arrowheads) for the autoconnect / quick shape connectors when you add a shape and a connector is added?

Thank you so much for you help!

Jim

Yacine

Visio uses the connector shown in the document stencil for autonnecting. You can format it to your needs.
Yacine

2020Visio!

Hi Yacine,

Thank you will use this setting to get the lines to look right when autoconnecting. Was afraid this wasn't possible maybe.

How much control do we have over autoconnect? One thing we want to achieve is to have autoconnect work multiple times on one connector, where this connector should be able to have multiple shapes connected. Is this even possible with autoconnect? Now the option disappears after connecting one shape with autoconnect.

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Autoconnect works so-so. It allows single exits per side.  To connect multiple shapes to one shape, you need to work backwards, i.e., from each shape back to the common.  I believe that ought to work.  I don't use the feature very much...more annoying than helpful.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

2020Visio!

Thank you wapperdude very useful information, the autoconnect / quick shapes are a bit of a dead end I now understand, very little options to customize and get them working well enough.

Jim

wapperdude

Something to consider:  when you place any shape on a page, Visio makes a copy of it in the document stencil.  You can open the document stencil, and edit the shape, e.g., a connector.  Edit line weight, color, etc.  Save this master.  Now, when you place new connectors, including autoplace, these will reference the connector in the document stencil.  You can do the same for shapes too.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

2020Visio!

I apologize for this beginner's question, but where do I find the document stencil and know that I'm in the document stencil?

So if I format the connector(s) I find in the document stencil, that will be the template for the formatting of the connector lines that autoconnect creates on the page?

Thank you!

Jim

2020Visio!

Apologies for that question, overlooked a simple checkbox...

Please see the screenshot, a nice visual answer to this question!