How do I lock shape positions in Visio 2010

Started by redwards60, August 04, 2015, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwards60

I am using MS Visio 2010...

I inserted a state map to be used as the background of the Visio drawing - I even identified it as a layer. I want to place symbols on the map, that denote certain entities, like hospitals, etc. However, every time I go to re-position the map or change the size of the map, the individual symbols lose their proper location on the map. How do I "lock" the symbols on the map, so if I move or re-size the map, they adjust accordingly so they remain in their proper location on the map?

Do I use layers, groups, containers, or something else to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help you can provide - I am self taught, so there is much in Visio I do not completely understand and use properly! :)

wapperdude

Easiest way is to use group.  Then set group protection to preserve aspect ratio.  As you stretch and shrink everything will resize proportionally.  If you want to selectively slow/hide shapes, assign each shape to desired layer.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

redwards60

Hi Wapperdude!

I appreciate your response and trying to assist me. I obviously do not know much about Groups in MS Visio 2010, because I am not getting the intended results. I've selected the large map picture - and right clicked an selected Group, and did the same thing with one of the smaller hospital pictures, yet when I re-position the larger map picture, the smaller hospital symbol does not stay fixed to its original location on the map. I am sure I am not doing something right. I also could not find where you set the Group's group protection to preserve aspect ratio. Again, I probably just do not know where to look for that.

Please excuse my ignorance...if you can provide a more detailed step-by-step, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

wapperdude

Have you tried Visio help or googling Visio shape grouping?

Briefly, select the map and then the hotel.  With both shapes selected, group them. Note, initially, you can select the map and then as many other shapes as desired before the initial grouping.  To add more shapes, select the group and then the other shapes to be added, then add to group.

There's more to grouping than I've indicated, so you should do some researching.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro