Reference Text in Shape on Another Page

Started by Cloudshadow0, August 03, 2015, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloudshadow0

Hello Visio Guy and friends.

My question is how to have text on one page be pulled from a text block on another page? Like in excel instead of writing a clients number every new record all of the additional cells just reference and display the original cell with the data. 

More specifically, I work for a company that uses large multi sheet Visio files for almost everything. We created a 2 background pages that we use on all of the foreground data pages. The First background page is an editable cover page and the second is a boarder page. We add the title of the project and the project number to the cover page background and then we reference the title and project number in the boarder background. I would like for the person who adds all the data to the cover background not to have to reenter the information on the board background. Is this possible? I have tried to create a formula to reference the shape of the cover page but it didn't work.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Richard.

Noisy Cricket

You can reference shapes on other pages (containing the information that you want to reference) by inserting a field and the formulas discussed here:

http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2512.0

Alternatively MSDN has a good overview of cell references.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff768760.aspx

I've done something symilar with a header/footer that, when copied, uses a setf to push the correct formula's to the new shape.
Won't be necessary for a "static" document with a fixed number of pages and name.

Cloudshadow0

Hello All

I am a little lost. I read the posts from the links in the last answer but I'm missing the mark. I have attached two pictures to show you what im doing.

Im trying to get people to enter a job number in a rectangle on my cover back ground and I want to have a duplicate rectangle on the border background to display the entered text on the previous page shape.

I tried this =Pages[Cover Background]!Sheet.5!Rectangle but It dosnt work.

Thank you for any help.
Richard.

wapperdude

To get the text, you need to use the Shapetext fcn.  The forum has lots of posts.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on May 28, 2015, 11:20:15 AM
visio have two different types of shape/page names. Local and Universal
Quote from: Surrogate on May 05, 2015, 12:32:02 PM
visio have two difference Local and Universal names of page
PageName(0) - local (non-english) pagename.
PageName(750) - universal pagename.

in shapesheet formula you need write only universal pagename. but via visio interface you see only local name! i get some problems with russian interface :)

wapperdude

Problems with your formula:  =Pages[Cover Background]!Sheet.5!Rectangle 

1. Without seeing your Visio file, I would imagine that the shape, Sheet.5, and the Rectangle are the same shapes.
  2. As previously mentioned, your formula makes no reference to text, and needs to utilize the SHAPETEXT fcn.

Thus, your formula ought to look like:  =SHAPETEXT(Pages[Cover Background]!Sheet.5!TheText).  Place it in the desired shape on the background page.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro