Dimensioning tools

Started by sjenks, July 23, 2015, 06:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjenks

Hi there,

I have multiple dimensioning tools attached to different lines to measure the distance between them. These lines are in a rectangle that can get wider. Due to multiple lines, I couldn't attach the dimensioning tools to the outside of the rectangle and at the end of the line because I usually wouldn't get them to connect to the right shape. So now when the rectangle widens, the dimensioning tool moves with it. (It makes sense). The lines for the dimensions I have transparent because I don't need them, but the text that shows the measurement I have showing. Is there a way to keep the text from moving from a spot while the rest of the dimensioning tool goes along with where it's connected?

Attached are 2 pictures.  Pic 1 is what I want it to always look like and Pic 2 is what happens when I widen the rectangle.

wapperdude

You need to edit the dimension shapesheet, specially, the x-, y- coordinates of the control.  Presently, they should be based upon shape width (height).  You ought to be able to merely put in a fixed offset...remember to guard the value.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

sjenks

Do you mean in this section in the shape sheet (see attached picture)? I have tried, but can't figure out how to get it to work. I want to pin it to the left of Sheet.14 in my visio drawing. Do you have an example of the formula for this and where it would go in the control area?

Thanks.

wapperdude

Yes.If you have the drawing window and the shapesheet window tiled, then you can watch things.

So, in the shapesheet, select the X cell for the 2nd row.  You should see the text position control get selected in the drawing window.  That shows you have the right control.

Now, in the shapesheet window, right click and select show values.  Then, in the x- and y- cells, type the literal values that you see.  Make sure to guard these.  That will lock the control to its current position.  You can do either or both cells.  Adjust values as desired.

Wapperdude

Edit:  note, the formula in the y cell is wrong.  Typically, sth like height*X, where X is some value.  Other formulas are ok as long as syntax is correct.
Visio 2019 Pro