Why shape Text is not available as a ShapeSheet cell?

Started by Nikolay, July 17, 2015, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolay

Why shape text is not a ShapeSheet cell (or was not made available as a shape-sheet cell)?

I mean, you can access shape text using SS formulas and use SS fields in shape text and so on, but still you can't set the text directly from a SS formula for example.
Why? Is there a reason for that?

Just curious, i.e. the question is well about Visio design in general, not a practical one.

Yacine

Guess because shapesheet cells don't support formated text
Yacine

Nikolay

But isn't "Shape.Text" also plain text, and formatting is added afterwards by other SS cells?

I.e. the question is, why the text, that is, "Shape.Text" (in VBA notation) is not a SS cell (or was not made available as such)..

Nikolay

Actually, I don't need anything in particular, just curious :)

The article states that:
QuoteWhile there are good reasons for this, I think this can initially trip-up would-be SmartShape designers.

The reason there is no text cell is because text can have different formatting characteristics. Bold, italic, underline, strike-through, bullets, font size, etc. Paragraphs can have different alignment. Some text might be typed by the user, other bits of text might be linked to inserted fields. In short, a shape's text can be an unpredictable mish-mash. In light of all of this text-complexity, simply asking Microsoft for a Text cell might be a rather unclear feature request.

So my question basically is, what are these good reasons?   :D
Text formatting does not sound like a reason to me (or I don't quite get the relationship between formatting and absence of text in the ShapeSheet) - again, "Shape.Text" has no formatting.
As for the fields, the text just has those &H1E characters for the fields.