Creating curves with specific dimensions (for railroad tracks)

Started by Ergoboy, January 20, 2009, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ergoboy

Hi.  I am working on creating a model railroad track plan using Visio.  I plan on using Kato Unitrack, which comes in different lengths, curve radii, and so on.  I haven't been able to figure out how to make a custom set of line shapes which are based on a set of specifications. 

For example, some of the track comes in 45 degree sections (1/8 of a circle), with a 28" radius.  Other than trying to freehand draw this (which doesn't work well), is there any way I can create these shapes by entering a set of dimensions?

If not, does anyone have any other advice on how to draw these?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron

Visio Guy

Hi Ergoboy,

You might be interested in this: Visio Stencil for LGB Track.

I would create a custom line pattern that looks like rail tracks, then apply it to shapes found on this stencil:

File > Shapes > Visio Extras > Drawing Tools (see attached image)

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to break into the ShapeSheet behind each shape and start doing some trigonometry. (ugh!)

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

If you want to avoid the trig, you can make a set of fixed curve shapes.  O-gauge tends to have a variety of fixed radius sections.

1.)  Draw a circle with the desired radius. 
2.)  Draw straight lines at the appropriate angles, starting at the center of the circle and crossing thru the circumference.  (It helps to have the size and position window open, available under the view tab.  It allows you to enter exact angles.) 
3.)  Then select all of the objects.  Go to Shape > Operations > Fragment.
4.)  Grab one of the "pie" sections, and drag it away from the others for convenience.  Select the pencil tool.
5.)  Click on what used to be the center point of the circle to identify that vertex.  Hit delete.  This will remove one of the straight line segments.
6.)  Repeat (5) to remove the other segment.
7.)  Save your arc on a custom stencil.

If you want to parameterize the arc, you can open the shapesheet and look at the Geometry section to see how this arc is "formulated" and then develop your own rules.

HTH
Enjoy, Happy Model Railroading!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

artbraune

I myself had considered buying the Unitrack Track Template, scanning it, dropping the image into Visio, and then recreating it in Visio.

Ergoboy

How about I'll make the straights, and you can make the curves and then we'll share...   ;)

Thank you to the other replies.  I had tried the LGB template, but that doesn't work for Unitrack.  I had tried dividing the circles, but wasn't sure how to get past the pie shapes.  Now that I know how though, I'll give it another try.

Thanks!

Aaron

artbraune

I guess I have another question on the topic...

How do you make the shape intelligent enough that if you place a curved section of track (with connection points on both ends) and then attach another section of curved track (again with connection points on both ends) - that the sections of curved track auto-align to the correct curve?

Let me know if this is confusing?

Thanks!
Art

Ergoboy

So I'm trying a combination of the two techniques.  I have a custom line shape, and I'm trying to fragment the circle so that I get the appropriate radius.  Unfortunately, when I fragment the circle, and only have the radius and apply the custom line shape, a line appears which joins the two radii ends.  How do I prevent this?

Thanks,

Aaron

wapperdude

I took one of the shapes from the template that VisioGuy referred to, and made some modifications to make it more useful for layout design.  It has the necessary basic features, but needs some "polishing", just ran out of time for now and was uncertain if it's of any interest.

When the shape is dropped onto a drawing, it will ask for the curve diameter, and the initial orientation.  There are 3 diameters at the moment, but these values may easily be changed, and others added.  Also, the initial orientation is a fixed list, ranging from 0 to 180 degrees, in fixed increments corresponding to the minimum "arc" step size, which I set to 22.5 degrees.  The yellow control point can be used to increment the arc.  I also added displayed text which shows the radius and arc angle. 

Hopefully, this will be useful.  It's quite preliminary.  Check it out, if it's useful, then perhaps further development will be warranted.

Wapperdude

Edit:
Since posting the curve shape, I threw together a layout plan, based solely on curve sections.  Just to see how quick it would go, and to have a example of what's possible.
Visio 2019 Pro

Ergoboy

Hey, I find it useful!  Thanks for playing with it.  I need to take a look at the Kato Unitrack radii and lengths and see if I can create something similar which allows me to set the appropriate lengths and apply the part number.  I'm a little disappointed that Kato didn't build Unitrack shapes for Visio already.

Aaron

wapperdude

I've updated the curve section, and added a straight track section.  These are done to Lionel O-gauge, fasttrack.  The text is better now, can be turned off using the right click menu.  Dbl clicking the selected shape brings up the Shape Data menu.  The orientation angle can either use drop down menu or manual entry.

Note also, that the right click menu allows for complementary rotation, i.e., clockwise rather than counter clockwise.  The displayed text indicates the diameter, the angular amount of the track, and the combined angles of starting orientation plus angular track rotation.  This latter can be helpful in trying to align the angles of straight track to the curved pieces.

This ought to be enough to allow modification for HO, or whatever gauge is desired.

Enjoy.
Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro