Tags on Shapes

Started by morrisrw, June 24, 2015, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morrisrw

Not new to Visio, but new to the whole shape sheet and tags thing and I want to learn more - much more. Is there a reference book I can buy for shapes and shape sheets that gives me lots of details?

Specifically, I have been using the Process Engineering tools to create some PFDs and PIDs. for example, dropping a valve shape on the page results in the valve along with some pre-defined text (V-1 for example) and there is a yellow marker that can be used to move the position of the text. I found in the shape sheet how to change the "V" to "HV" and to set up 3 digits for the valve number. NOW, how can I get this same type of text tag for a shape I create from scratch and set it up so when I bring it in from the stencil, the default text is there and the number auto-increments?

This is probably pretty simple but it is eluding me and not finding much help through Google searches.

Yacine

Hi Morris,
create your own stencil from the existing one(save as ...), then add the shape you modified.

You may also want to read this post: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6254.msg25577#msg25577

If you need further help, don't hesitate to ask.

Yacine

morrisrw

Modifying an existing shape is one way to go I suppose but I'd like to understand the genesis of how the shape was put together so I can understand it and maybe adapt that knowledge to my benefit. I'm and engineer so I want to understand how things work. Thanks for your help!