Number and Unit Problems in Visio 2013

Started by Steve Petko, June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Petko

I'm having trouble with the way Visio displays numbers and units. (Visio 2013 Std, Win 7 64bit Pro)

I have:        12.34INCHES
I want:        12.3400 In.

I found some useful entries in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Visio\Application\
MeasurementDigits_Dlgs                 = 4
MeasurementDigits_SheetForm       = 4
MeasurementDigits_SheetVal          = 4
MeasurementDigits_StatBar            = 4

But here 4 means "maximum allowed" not required. I cannot find anything
else useful in the Registry. I presume I need to add values not currently
there, but I cannot find Registry documentation for Visio 2013.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Require 4 digits after the decimal.
2. Change "INCHES" to " In."

Any help appreciated!

-Steve

Surrogate

Quote from: Steve Petko on June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 AM
I'm having trouble with the way Visio displays numbers and units. (Visio 2013 Std, Win 7 64bit Pro)
Hi Steve,

where you need display these numbers: dimension line or something else ?

Steve Petko

Thanks for the responses.

This is actually far simpler than customizing the Shape Sheet. The problem seems to be universal across Visio. If I:

Open Visio/Blank Drawing/US Units/More Shapes - General - Basic Shapes/Drag Rectangle

The "Size & Position" window looks as attached, and likewise the "Print Setup" window.

Perhaps a global Office setting?

Many thanks!
Steve

Surrogate

IMHO it is Visio 2013 specific. I have 2010 Professional

wade

I know this is a very old thread, but it helped me to solve the problem that has been frustrating me for months and I believe it is the same problem of the original poster. After a Microsoft Update to Visio 2013 that occurred sometime early this year (2017), my installed instance of Microsoft Visio 2013 (15.0) 32-bit stopped displaying all decimal places and also displayed the unit of measurement in uppercase, full word with no space between number. This occurred everywhere in the application including dialogs, shapesheet, forms, the status bar - everywhere. This is very frustrating for me and the work I perform in Visio. This has occurred to the same version of Visio on two separate computers I use at my work, one a Dell laptop and the other a Dell desktop both running Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1+ all updates to date. I also have Visio installed on my personal laptop which runs Windows 10 and it has never had this issue. I have been very frustrated at work because of the issue.

Today I finally came across this thread. I took a look at the registry settings listed in the original post on my desktop. Adjacent to those four settings are four more similar settings:

• MeasurementFlags_Dlgs = 0
  • MeasurementFlags_SheetForm = 0
  • MeasurementFlags_SheetVal = 0
  • MeasurementFlags_StatBar = 0

I performed a search for "visio MeasurementFlags" and I came across a very old web page regarding Visio 2000 which had the full details of these four registry settings plus the four registry settings in the original post. From this I was able to calculate my preferred measurement flag values, which for me was 2577, and I set each of the four measurement flags registry settings to that value. I also set the four measurement digits registry settings (mentioned in the original post) to 4. I then restarted Visio 2013 and I was back in business!

Here is the link to the web page with the details:
https://expertreplies.com/visio2000-where-settings-are-stored-in-the-registry-part-1/

I calculated my measurement flag settings as follows (using information from that old web page):

• 1 - Use the localized abbreviated name (IN. vs INCH)
  • 16 - Convert label to lowercase (6in vs 6IN)
  • 512 - Separate value and units with a space
  • 2048 - Fill decimal with zeros (.2500 vs 0.25)

Therefore, 1 + 16 + 512 + 2048 = 2577

My final registry settings are as follows:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Visio\Application\

• MeasurementDigits_Dlgs = 4
  • MeasurementDigits_SheetForm = 4
  • MeasurementDigits_SheetVal = 4
  • MeasurementDigits_StatBar = 4
  • MeasurementFlags_Dlgs = 2577
  • MeasurementFlags_SheetForm = 2577
  • MeasurementFlags_SheetVal = 2577
  • MeasurementFlags_StatBar = 2577

I hope this helps the OP and anyone else that has had this issue.

Thanks,
Wade

VisioGCM

I registered for an account to give a big THANK YOU to wade for posting the solution to this problem. 

I had the same problem and his post fixed it!