How to change the selection alignment / bounding box of a grouped shape

Started by spooner, June 05, 2015, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooner

Hi,
I can't change the selection bounding box of the grouped shape.  In the screenshot below the bounding box is greater than the visible shape. The bounding box has the same size as all two shapes  together.
The second shape of the group is invisible and I would like to change the bounding box to have the dimensions only of the visible shape.
I hope, it is clear what I want to do  :)

wapperdude

Basically, you need to lock the calculation of the alignment box within the shapesheet of the group.  But, to get the desired size of the alignment box, you need to 1st remove the "undesired" shape...temporarily.  Use the following steps.

1.  Select the group, then select the subshape whose boundary you want to exclude.
2.  Temporarily, remove that shape from the group.  Note, it will remain selected.
3.  Reselect the group, and open it's shapesheet.
4.  Go to the Protection section and set LockCalcWH = 1.  This prevents the alignment box from resizing.  It is critical that this is shapesheet of the group!
5.  Now, add the shape from step 2, back into the group.  It critical to "Add to group".  Do not create a new group!

That's it.  The alignment box will be the size it was before the shape was re-added.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

spooner

Mouthpear

Quote from: wapperdude on June 05, 2015, 03:48:52 PM

1.  Select the group, then select the subshape whose boundary you want to exclude.
2.  Temporarily, remove that shape from the group.  Note, it will remain selected.

How do you Temporarily, remove that one shape from the group? I see nothing that lets you just remove a shape from a group, without ungrouping the whole group.

wapperdude

from this reference:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/group-or-ungroup-shapes-in-visio-b58742f3-ac63-43fe-a647-2a3e8b107542

Add or remove a shape from a group
Do one of the following:

To add a shape to a group, select both the shape and the group to which you want to add the shape.

To remove a shape from a group, select the group, and then click the shape you want to remove from the group.

On the Home tab > Arrange group > Group > select Add to Group or Remove from Group
Visio 2019 Pro

Mouthpear

Quote from: wapperdude on August 12, 2022, 03:08:27 PM
from this reference:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/group-or-ungroup-shapes-in-visio-b58742f3-ac63-43fe-a647-2a3e8b107542

Add or remove a shape from a group
Do one of the following:

To add a shape to a group, select both the shape and the group to which you want to add the shape.

To remove a shape from a group, select the group, and then click the shape you want to remove from the group.

On the Home tab > Arrange group > Group > select Add to Group or Remove from Group

TY yes I had found it shortly after I had posted. Trouble is the shapes were put in several groups deep. Was able to remove the most of the shapes without issue just had to repeat Remove Shape from Group several times. But the one shape(door) that has data referenced to the other shape(frame) in the main group, when I try and remove in from group it drops the data. That shape (door) was in four groups deep and I was ables to get in to two groups deep

This is how it should be. Main group and only group should be shapes frame and door. Now there are other shapes that get connected to that group after. Shapes are Door Sensor and Pressure Switch.

Now here is what happened. I uploaded file to this site asking how to make the door move up and down in three positions. Open, Mid, and Closed. Well a user here sent back the file with how to do it and it worked great. However the user with working solution grouped all of the parts(shapes) together.

The Frame and Door need to be the only shapes in that main group so that I can add(connect) and remove(disconnect) shapes (Pressure Switch, Door Sensor, Limit Switch, Linear Actuator, ect) as needed.

Page "User Solution All grouped" on uploaded file is the users solution.

Page "Stuck here" is where I'm stuck.

Anyway thank you for your help. I'm off to do more searching

wapperdude

@Mouthpair
QuoteThe Frame and Door need to be the only shapes in that main group so that I can add(connect) and remove(disconnect) shapes (Pressure Switch, Door Sensor, Limit Switch, Linear Actuator, ect) as needed.

I agree.  I couldn't tell if you resolved this or not.
Visio 2019 Pro

Mouthpear

Quote from: wapperdude on August 13, 2022, 07:03:15 PM
@Mouthpair
QuoteThe Frame and Door need to be the only shapes in that main group so that I can add(connect) and remove(disconnect) shapes (Pressure Switch, Door Sensor, Limit Switch, Linear Actuator, ect) as needed.

I agree.  I couldn't tell if you resolved this or not.

I got most of the shapes out but the door shape is stuck in a group. Can't figure out how to ungroup it with out it losing the door position function. Shape menu with open mid and closed. That why I said

Page "Stuck Here" in file I uploaded.