Changing some property rows values with VBA

Started by M.G.Ford, May 27, 2015, 07:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.G.Ford

Hi again,

This is building on my last question but new so new post. I have recreated all the shapes that I need in the form that I mentioned in my last post and I have the shapes dropping on the sheet correctly. The problem that I am having now is that I can't change any of the prop.X values to what I need. Here is how I am dropping the shapes

Dim counter As Integer

dblX = 1   
    dblY = 1

For counter = 1 To ThisDocument.DataRecordsets.Count
        If ThisDocument.DataRecordsets(counter).Name = "Visio Shapes" Then
            lngDataRecordsetID = ThisDocument.DataRecordsets(counter).ID
            rstIndex = counter
        End If
    Next

Set vsoDataRecordset = ThisDocument.DataRecordsets(rstIndex)

lngRowIDs = vsoDataRecordset.GetDataRowIDs("")

For lngRow = LBound(lngRowIDs) + 1 To UBound(lngRowIDs) + 1
    varRowData = vsoDataRecordset.GetRowData(lngRow)

Set vsoMaster = Visio.Documents(varRowData(14) + ".vss").Masters(varRowData(8))

dblX = dblX + 0.5
    dblY = dblY + 0.5

Set vsoShape = ActivePage.Drop(vsoMaster, dblX, dblY)

error line -> vsoShape.Cells("Prop.title").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(0) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.Entitlements").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(1) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.environ").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(2) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.netZone").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(3) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.Mem").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(4) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.vcpu_cores").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(5) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.sockets").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(6) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.hosts").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(7) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.shape").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(8) & Chr(34)
    'vsoShape.Cells("Prop.shapeKey").Formula = Chr(34) & varRowData(15) & Chr(34)

Next lngRow

The error I am getting is

QuoteRun-time error '-2032466967 (86db03e9)': Unexpected end of file

regarding the error, this is what MS has to say

QuoteCellsU("somestring") raises an "Unexpected end of file" exception if "somestring" does not name an actual cell.

I know the property name is correct. I think the problem is that once I drop the shape, I am not referencing it correctly since it can't seem to find the property. I think that I have to go down one more layer to find them. I can change the approach if needed. I and thinking that I can drop the shape then update the values. There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful Visio data out there... for what I am doing, at least.

in the master explorer, here is the hierarchy

masters
    shape name
        layers
        shapes
           shapename (again)
           source-data
               <this is where the property shapes are>

Michael

M.G.Ford

I did some testing. I create a shape from the start but only used one group instead of the two as noted above and it worked as expected. it is something to do with the "source-data" and "shapename (again)". Visio is not searching the "source-data" where the properties are associated. There might be something else that I need to need to do to find them but as of now, it might be faster to created the shapes... again... sigh. While it is annoying, it is a good learning experience. hopefully, there will be a suggestion to avoid that :).

aledlund

your's is a very common beginners programming error in that the issue is where do you start to count and when to stop counting. Recordset id's start at '0' not '1'.

For counter = 0 To ThisDocument.DataRecordsets.Count - 1

might be a little better.

You should probably take a look at the Visio SDK for examples of reading rows from a recordset because that also has some subtleties on row numbering.

al

M.G.Ford

In this case, it isn't reading form the recordset, it is accessing the prop.X values and setting them to what I need. The recordset processing works fine.

M.G.Ford

Solution (rather than an answer as this is a workaround):

This is not so much of an answer but a solution. For it to be an answer, I would need to know why I was having problems accessing the properties for a group withing a shape when there is more than one group. The solution was to redesign all the custom shapes to only have one group. once that was done, the code as listed above for setting the property values worked without issue.

The answer would be to have figured out how to reference nested group properties directly.

Thanks.

Michael