Can I still get Visio 2003 to work on Windows 8+?

Started by Trinity, May 19, 2015, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trinity

My (very) old XP computer was stolen from my house, but the robbers didn't take the disc for Visio 2003.  :P

I now have a Window 8.1 machine, and I need access to Visio and my old files. When I attempted to install it, I received the following error:

Error 1919: Error configuring ODBC data source: Visual FoxPro Tables, ODBC error 6: Component not found in the registry. Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Tables exists and that you can access it.

Per another thread, I uninstalled the modern Office Suite in order to coax Visio 2003 to join. No dice; the same error appears.

Do I have any hope of getting Visio 2003 on a Windows 8 machine and avoiding the ribbon?  I've used the updated versions of Visio at work and I can't stand them.

I know I'm *really* late to the party; please be kind!

Surrogate

M$FT finished support of Visio 2003 at last year. I am not sure that this version can correctly work with Win8.

AndyW

No, you need a minimum of Visio 2007 for Windows 8
Live life with an open mind

Surrogate

Trinity, if robbers didn't take the disc with WinXP you can install XP on your machine via VirtualBox or another virtual machine...

Trinity

Surrogate and Andy - Thank you so much for the advice! I hadn't even considered the XP angle. No, the robbers were only after cameras and computers, so I'll get on that right away!

Cheers! Merci!

David.P

I was just going to say that Visio 2003 runs beautifully even on Windows 10. In fact, of Office 2003, Word, PowerPoint and Excel all do so.

If there should be an issue with the installer not finding some files or registry entries, possibly related to the error message "Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source" or "Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and that you can access it" as described here, installing a trial version of Office 2007 seems to be able to resolve this issue.

The latter can be (legally) downloaded using a tool called Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool.

Anyway, just to gather this information for the use of possible future generations.

Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019