transfer rotational movement to linear

Started by kiler40, May 07, 2015, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiler40

Hello everybody!
I have this strange idea going around my head from some time now.
I`m creating drawing of a rotary line but i don`t know how to represent the correct dimensions.
The question is when plate 1 is rotating clockwise what till be the movement of plate 2 to the left when plate wan is on top (Angle 0 deg)

I have checked some formulas in internet and found out that
QuoteDiameter x Pi, (3.14159), divided by 360 for 1 degree.
Then multiply the degrees travel with the above result to get travel in mm.
From mathematical point of view i can calculate. But i want to get it interactive in visio  8)
And I found problem. i don`t know how to get the angle of rotation on plate 1 (big group) from degree to mm so i can put shapeshet to calculate the PinX of plate 2.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance!
Hope i have explained it right.  ::)

Andrei

wapperdude

You can do something like this (sorry, non-metric):  PinX = GUARD(8.5*(0.5+(ANG360(-Sheet.1!Angle)-180 deg)/(360 deg)))

Where PinX belongs to Plate2 shape, and sheet.1 is your rotating shape (Plate1???).  The 8.5 scales how much horizontal movement per rotation.  The 0.5 sets the offset such that 0 deg,  that is, x =M*angle+offset.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Hi Andrei,
I have not really understood your problem.
If it is a matter of gear transmission, then the problem would be as follows:
Path1 = Path2
Path = Angle (in Radian) * Radius
Thus A1*R1=A2*R2
Since Radian and degree angles are proportional, you can skip the conversion from degrees to radians and
the angle of the slave shape would be
A2= A1*R1/R2
The diameter being also proportional to the radius
you get "Angle = GUARD(Sheet.19!Angle*Sheet.19!Width/Width)"

... I'm probably completely on the wrong path.
Yacine

kiler40

Hello Both,
Thanks for the reply first!
@ Yacine
It is not related to gear transmission. While the gear rotates, it is pulling a chain that has a plate attached to it. The plate is moving linear. My goal is to find where the plate attached on the chain will be, after the gear rotates by 180 deg.

@ wapperdude
Your solution reaches the goal. But it have a lot of manual tuning. And i`m not sure if this is that i need to change. In the file i have posted, this is the initial condition.
QuoteThe 8.5 scales how much horizontal movement per rotation.  The 0.5 sets the offset
this 2 values i cant quite understand. my gear has diameter of 90 cm. if i put 90 in horizontal scale is it going to be right ?
also i`m playing with the ofset still :)

Yacine

Yacine

kiler40

I was thinking of it, but it cannot be applied in this case.

My target is to find what will be the overall length of the equipment.
You can see in the picture that depends on where the plates are the length is different
I know the length of one plate (it can be changed through the shape data of the shape that need be rotated) and i know the diameter of the wheel/gear
in visio file i have attached one gear with 2 plates. my problem comes when i need to change the coefficients mentioned by WD.
in the file the 2 plates have different values in the formula
=GUARD(45*(3.925+(ANG360(-rotating_board.15!Angle)-180 deg)/(360 deg)))
=GUARD(90*(2.085+(ANG360(rotating_board.15!Angle)-180 deg)/(360 deg)))

but both plates have the same moving boundaries.
Also i want to be able to change the length of the plate (from the shape data) and to see representative change in dimension :)
So `im looking for more clearance how this works :)
Maybe i need put them all in a group and work with the group as a major object (in this solution i cannot move the entire structure, because of the guard function)

wapperdude

I think I get what you're trying to do.  Basically it's a conveyor belt.  Correct?  Does this have a practical application?  If so, I perceive a couple of serious problems. 

One problem is the small turning radius.  The horizontal movement of plate 2 will be very small as plate 1 goes from bottom to top.  That means, let's call it plate 3, which was on top, also didn't move very far, and plate 1 will overlap and come crashing down on top of plate 3.  Because of the small lateral movement, due to the gear being so small in diameter, the only way to prevent overlapping is to create large gaps between the plates. 

Second problem is that the plates can only be attached to whatever it is they're attached to at one, singularly small point, say the mid-point of each plate.  That's not very practical, and certainly not very robust.  If a larger contact area is used, then as plate one rotates around, the tendency would be push the belt away from the gear.  That creates a multitude of problems.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

JuneTheSecond

I am studying SETATREF function that is too difficult for me to understand.
Though it is not the answer for your subject, I made an example drawing of Rack & Pinion.
Now I found angle of sheet.1 and PinX of sheet.2 can be referenced each other by SETATREF function.
Thank you for your good subject.

And please enjoy a short video in YouTube.
https://youtu.be/z-Ovr4DovVs
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

wapperdude

@JuneTheSecond:

Nice video for rack and pinion.  Look forward to checking the Visio file when I get back to my computer.  I think your efforts suggest more possibilities.  Thank you for sharing this.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

kiler40

Yes. It is a conveuour line. But it is a actual living and well runing line :)
The rotating/moving gear has 90cm of radius and it is moving whatever lenght of plates (in my case carts) it want.
You are very correct :) they are attachet at the middle of the cart with 2 rods to the moving chain. (What i have putted in the visio file is as much acurate as possible for dimensions...)
Distance between cart is 20cm.
My issue that i want to draw an accurate scaled concept of a conveyour with whatever length of the cart and whatever number of carts. I dont want to create mechanicall drawings of it.
We are refurbishing old mechanism to create new ones :) my ony issue is the overal length. And the overlaping of the carts is the critical part for me. In the file the cart is 6m. But what will hapen if it is 3m... 4.5m... :)

I also dont have PC at the moment and i can check June's solution on monday. It looks very interesting :)

Thanks for the interesting feedback and ideas!

wapperdude

Ah!!!  Of course.  :D  The ol' moving the detachable cart conveyor! 

@JuneTheSecond:  I looked at your development.  Well done.  The SETATREF allows you to either rotate the pinion or to slide the rack.  Perfect!

It is easy to change the length of the plate, just adjust the value of the "2" in the width formula.  By sliding the plate, it's possible to extend the "range of sliding" beyond the 360 deg limit imposed the the angle formula.
Visio 2019 Pro

kiler40

hmmm :)
verry interesting :) I`ll play a little bit with the formula.
Also too complex for me :) but it feels like fun :)

Thanks !

kiler40

So far - so good :)
one last thing. if i change the lenght of the cart/plate (i`ve put some shape data in the shape sheet of the group) how to adjust the offset of the cart/plate.
I`ve been changing some values in the formula. but can`t find out.

some more help please  ::)

I have found it !
Seems i needed to sleep with the thought.
Thanks All ! :)

JuneTheSecond

Congrtulation!

But I have not yet solved the problem of limit of 360 degrees that Yciine is pinted out.
I cannot clear this limit, but can escape the limit by adding some shape data.

Here is my idea.
A. Edit pipnion shape.
1. Add Prop.Total for amount of total angles during rotation.
2. Add Prop.Step for stepping angle
3. Edit Angle cell to SETATREF(Prop.Toatal)
4. Add formula in EventDBLClick Cell as SETF(GetRef(Prop.Total),Prop.Total+Prop.step).

B. Edit formula in PinX cell in rack shape,
        SETATREF(Sheet.1!Angle,SETATREFEVAL((SETA....
   into SETATREF(Sheet.1!Prop.Total,SETATREFEVAL((SETA

C . Make a VBA macro to trigger the formula like
ActivePage.Shapes.ItemFromID(17).Shapes.ItemFromID(2).Cells("EventDblClick").Trigger
You can make Visio addin based on this VBA macro.

And here is a short Video in YouTube.
https://youtu.be/JMa5TmOhrP0

Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/