Main Menu

Page "Title"

Started by jmw_visio, April 19, 2015, 09:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmw_visio

Hi,
I would like to have a title associated with each page. I am using the Page.Name in my Background Title Block. But I would also like to have a longer field to use for a longer description of the Page.

Basically my Page.Name would be something like DWG-1234  but I would like to have a field associated with each page that I can give a description "Boiler #3 Fuel Controls" And of course once created, I would like to place it in my title block on the background so that each new page would have it.

Any ideas?
thanks

Paul Herber

Shape Data is the way to go for this. Ensure you have the Develoiper tab enabled to get easy access to this, or you can also do so via the Drawing Explorer window. Add the shape data section for the page, add a data item for your page title. Then in the title block you can access the page's shape data.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

jmw_visio

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was kind of headed in that direction. But I am working on a template where initially there are no foreground pages. So I was looking for away to do this somehow from the background pages, which will be used when people insert a page and use the background page which contains the border.

I added data to the background page and was able to link to it via ThePage!Prop.Row_1.Value, but the data seems to be the same on each page. So if I change it on one, all of them change. Which kind of makes sense, that the background page is the same on all pages using it.

I can create a first page (Foreground) in the template and then add data to it, and a text title connected to it. Then have people duplicate it for each of the pages, but I was trying to avoid having to require this. Would prefer if they could just insert a page.

I could add the text shape and give it the data then place on the background. But I think it will still be the same issue, If I change it on one page, all of them will change.

If you have any more ideas, I would love to hear them.

I sure do wish I could just add a property to the page recordset similar to Page.Name  Visio seems to have a mechanism to allow connection to it on the background, but uses the foreground page.

Thanks

lindir

Hi,

To display a page name I insert a text field and insert a field with this formula: =ThePage!PAGENAME()
Hope I understood the problem right,

regards,

jmw_visio

Yes I can do the Page.Name but would like to have another field associated with the Page that is longer and different than the Page.Name. Since the Page Name is used in the tab, it is usually keep at a shorter 12 or so limit. But I would like to have another field where I might enter a very verbose description of the page.

vojo

Not really sure what you are trying to do here...but

Define a box (aka legend or whatever)

You can define 2 cells
   Props.title
   Props.intro

Set eventdblclk = docmd(1312)

Then insert fields ==>props==>props.title and props.intro

Ok...so now when double click the lengin, you can update title and introduction/description.   Those updates are presented in the text box

Now one thing that makes this interesting is that this can be a shape on a stencil so you can use wherever with no VBA.

Again, not sure what problem you are trying to solve....so this is just a thought

jmw_visio

Thanks for the tips Vojo.
Especially the part about no vba code.

I currently have vba code that is run when a Page is Added.
The code basically adds a section and property to the page shapesheet. (Prop.Sheet_Title)

I then draw a rectangle on the position I want (lining up with the border from the background). I then set this to the ThePage!Prop.Sheet_Title

All is working good, now trying to get to this data creating a table of contents. For some reason I can't find the field.

I will also study your ideas and apply them if it makes it cleaner.

The basic idea is to have a Title Associated with each page.  The Page.Name field is great, but I would like another field where I can be more verbose in describing the page. I can create this by hand after inserting  page, but would like it to automatically happen whenever someone inserts a page.

Here is a copy of the code so far.

Sub Add_Title()

' Add Custom Property to Sheet for Sheet Titles
    Dim vsoShape As Visio.Shape
    Set vsoShape = Visio.ActivePage.PageSheet
    vsoShape.AddSection visSectionProp
    vsoShape.AddNamedRow visSectionProp, "Sheet_Title", visTagDefault
    vsoShape.Cells("Prop.Sheet_Title").Formula = """Dwg Title"""

' Draw Text Box to link to Custom Sheet Title
    Application.ActiveWindow.Page.DrawRectangle 13#, 1.068, 16.5, 1.5648
    Set vsoShape = Visio.ActiveWindow.Selection(1)
    vsoShape.Cells("FillPattern") = 0
    vsoShape.Cells("Char.Font") = 21
    vsoShape.Cells("Char.Size").Formula = "8 pt"
    vsoShape.AddSection visSectionProp
    vsoShape.AddNamedRow visSectionProp, Prop_Rows_Name, visTagDefault
    Set vsoCharacters = vsoShape.Characters
    'vsoCharacters.Text = "sheet title"
    vsoCharacters.Begin = 0
    vsoCharacters.End = 6
    vsoCharacters.AddCustomFieldU "ThePage!Prop.Sheet_Title", visFmtStrNormal

End Sub

This sub is called from

Private Sub Document_PageAdded(ByVal Page As IVPage)
    Sheet_Title.Add_Title

Now I am trying to access this field when created a Table of Contents

I borrowed this code from some others on this site

It loops thru each page stopping once it reaches the background pages.

' loop through all the pages
For Each PageToIndex In Application.ActiveDocument.Pages

'exit when it hits the first background page (don't want those in the ToC)
    If PageToIndex.Background Then Exit For

If Not PageToIndex.Name = m_deletedPageName Then
        'append the page number, a tab, the page name, and a return to the ToC text shape
        TOCEntry.Text = TOCEntry.Text + CStr(PageToIndex.Index) + vbTab + PageToIndex.Name + vbNewLine

This works great but now I am trying to add the field created for each page but I cant seem to find the correct syntax or the cell/field itself. Maybe PageToIndex.ShapeSheet is not where it is located?

PageToIndex.PageSheet.Cells("Prop.SheetTitle")

I've tried several combinations but it always dies

Any ideas on how to reference this field

The Text link is ThePage!Prop.Sheet_Title and works fine.

Thanks Again

Yacine

PageSheet is definitely the right place.
Please check if pagetoindex is properly assigned and that prop.sheettitle exists
To do so insert intermediate assignments:
set pg = pagetoindex .... (check for pg)
debug.print prop.sheettitle (check for result)
HTH, Y.
Yacine

jmw_visio

Thanks Yacine,

I am a definitely a visio hacker not programmer and was wondering how to do some immediate printing. Will help me a lot on debugging!

Ill report back when find out more details

jmw_visio

Ok, here was how I finally got to the value in Prop.Sheet_Titel

Set vsoShape = PageToIndex.Shapes("ThePage")
        Set vsoCell = vsoShape.Cells("Prop.Sheet_Title")

Debug.Print PageToIndex.Name + vbTab + "Title: " + vbTab + vsoCell.ResultStr(Visio.visNone)

Yacine

Yes, now I see it. It was the ".resultstr(visio.visnone)".
Yacine