Tips for re-routing connectors in a complicated diagram

Started by Hrudeep, April 19, 2015, 07:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrudeep

Hi,

I'm relatively new to MS Visio 2010. I've been hired by a company to simplify and restructure their existing diagrams.
My task is to:
1) Reduce the jumpers.
2) Restructure the diagram so that the flow of the data is easily apparent. Inputs should appear on the left, and outputs on the right of the diagram.

These are mainly diagrams that show the flow of data within a software application. Some of them are very complicated, with many connectors terminating on one process box / queue (Queues have their own names.) creating many jumpers. These connectors may originate from within the module or from another module. In the attached sample diagram, I have shown connectors that are originating from the processes of the same module.

I also have another issue while trying to create a legend or a shape key.
After restructuring or editing the diagrams, I insert a legend shape. However, when I move a shape used in the diagram on the legend shape it is not displayed in its 'Symbol' column. Please note, I have created my own shapes from individual shapes, grouped them together, and added them to my own stencil.

Thanks,
Hrudeep

aledlund

For your custom designed shapes make sure to add a user property
user.visLegendShape 2
so that the legend shape can recognize them.
al

Hrudeep

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply, i'll try that out.
Any tips on the first part of my query?

Hrudeep

Hrudeep

I tried it. It works fine.
However, the legend shape does not seem to accept connectors or lines. You see I need to add different coloured lines in the legend, to denote different notations.

H