Ruler line

Started by kiler40, April 05, 2015, 10:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiler40

Hello Everybody!
I`m trying to create a line pattern that can be used as a ruler.
But it seems i`m messing up something.
If the patern is 5 mm long should it be repeated 10 times in 50 mm long line ?
Can someone please tell me what i do wrong.
Also how to make it not to be middle of the line but bottom ?
the square in the file have no line at the corners..

Thanks for the help. I feel that is something stupid.. but...

wapperdude

Yes, a 5mm pattern should repeat 10X for 50mm.  But your pattern isn't 5mm.  Remember, the starting point is zero, not 1.  So, the 1st long line would be followed by 4 shorter lines each 1 mm apart.  Then, the final long line, 1 mm further than the 4th short line.  In total, there are 6 lines!  Start at zero, then 1 mm increments to the 6th and final line.  Think spaces.  there are a total of 5 spaces, each space is 1mm long.

Not sure what you mean by make it not to be middle of line but bottom.  That's a function of how you draw your shape.  I'd draw one 5mm segment, replicate 10X, butt them together to make a 50mm long ruler.  Group them.  Then duplicate the group 3X.  Rotate, flip as desired.  Snap the end points.  Once your square shape is made, group.

But if you want to do this in a single shape, you can have one very big geometry section, or 4 geometry sections.  Avoids the grouping artifacts, but is a pain to create.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

kiler40

In other words - not enough logic to lose time to create such line pattern, but just draw the pattern group and multiply.

Anyhow !
Thanks again for the detailed explanation and help :)