Pictures on a flowchart?

Started by daphnegh, March 30, 2015, 01:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daphnegh

Noob here - please bear with me...and apologies if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where this would apply.

I've been tasked with creating a process flow - easy enough however the manager has asked me to make it such that one could hover over a certain task in the process and see a screen grab of how to do it.

More specifically, clicking/hovering over "fill out this form" would pop up with an image of the pre-filled form.

Is this possible? Any suggestions for making this work keeping in mind that I am truly a Visio beginner? If not exactly like this, is there a workaround that you might suggest?

Thanks!
Daphne

Paul Herber

A hover action can't do that, I think the best you can do is to add a hyperlink to the shape, linking either to another page which will have the appropriate image or to another document.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

There is another technique, but it is significantly more involved than what Paul describes...

Rather than using a hyperlink, this approach uses double click event.  Double click the shape to toggle the "tip" shape on / off.  It does require editing the shapesheet of both the main shape and the tip shape.  Note, the tip shape is actual shape, could be a picture, or whatever, but it is not the built-in shapetip.

Rather than just describe, I've attached a file that demonstrates and documents the approach.  There are two possible implementations, both are illustrated.  The first is cleaner in its performance, but pays a penalty to severing the link between the main shape and its master, if there is one.  The 2nd method doesn't pay that penalty, but does suffer from "extra" click step because of the way the shapes are grouped (it's the standard grouping technique).

So, both have pros/cons.  Adopt either or neither.   ;D

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

daphnegh

Thanks so much all!

I appreciate the time you've taken to help me out :)