Bug in Remove Layer function (2010)

Started by Jennifer, March 28, 2015, 10:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

While trying to isolate a problem with layers and groups, I ran into what appears to be a bug in the Remove Layer function.

Given: Two or more layers defined.

Bug: If I select any layer and click the Remove button, Visio will warn me that removing the layer will also delete all shapes belonging to it. If I then remove another layer without exiting the Layer Properties dialog, I get no warning whether that layer has assigned shapes or not. If I exit the dialog and reopen it, I am again prompted on the first Remove operation, but not on subsequent ones.

PS: I just realized that this should have been posted to the Bugs section. Please feel free to move it. Sorry.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Behavior is repeatable in V2007.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Well, I guess that's both good and bad news. The good news is that at least M$FT didn't make Visio 2010 any worse that 2007 (at least based on this bug). The bad news is that they don't appear that serious about fixing even obvious bugs. (sigh)

Nikolay

Hi Jennifer, but isn't this behavior logical? It might be intended actually..
That is, isn't saying that shapes are deleted along with layers once is enough - the subsequent messages won't say anything new, right?
Visio does not check if there actually are shapes on that layer being deleted, it just shows this message.
So what's the point of seeing the same message over and over again? Wouldn't seeing it once be enough?

Jennifer

Quote from: Nikolay on March 29, 2015, 10:45:06 AM
Hi Jennifer, but isn't this behavior logical?
Not to me.

It might be intended actually.
Possibly, but then it's a design bug. Otherwise, it's an implementation bug. I would be far more concerned about a design bug.

That is, isn't saying that shapes are deleted along with layers once is enough
Absolutely not.

...the subsequent messages won't say anything new, right?
Wrong. They provide the same information, but about a different layer. This demands a second confirmation.

Visio does not check if there actually are shapes on that layer being deleted, it just shows this message.

Yes, I know. That's another design flaw, in my opinion.

So what's the point of seeing the same message over and over again? Wouldn't seeing it once be enough?
As I said, it's  the same message, but for a different layer.

Do you work for M$FT? You seem to think a lot like their engineers. :)

aledlund

Jennifer,
Seems to not understand that this is a user supported forum and snarky remarks are out of place. Nikolay is one of the most talented developers that volunteers his time to help others on this site. Displeasure with results is not an unusual response when our attempts to be creative run into what we may feel to be unrealistic roadblocks, but as professionals we attempt to move beyond them and find a different path to our objectives.
Al Edlund

Jennifer

Quote from: Nikolay on March 29, 2015, 10:45:06 AM
Hi Jennifer, but isn't this behavior logical? It might be intended actually..
That is, isn't saying that shapes are deleted along with layers once is enough - the subsequent messages won't say anything new, right?
Nikolay,

My apologies for my inappropriate comments. I do realize that you are trying to help. I was annoyed that while trying to get a work project finished, I had to spend several hours because of one M$FT programming stupidity after another. I went to a lot of trouble to provide complete information and a sample document. On the other thread, you offered incorrect "solutions" without, it seemed to me, even looking at the sample document I provided. So when you suggested that M$FT had actually done the right thing here, I wrote you off as another one of the crackpot posters one has to wade through to get useful information. Apparently, I was wrong. Again, my apologies. I will try to exercise better self control in the future.

Nikolay

Hi Jennifer,
No problem, I just wanted to show a "developer's point of view" to this.. I.e. what the developer who created this was probably thinking :D

In a better world, it probably would make sense to actually check if some shapes will be deleted along with the current layer, and warn user about this, and not just show (once) this generic message box informing that deletion of a layer also deletes shapes..

wapperdude

In the less this perfect world, the "minimalist" world, where checking for affected shapes means code and effort, a generic warning is issued.  OK.  Like Nikolay, I get the MS perspective, "User Beware" warning, not saying I agree with MS...  so keep the warning viewable...a simple compromise.     At least, one can always "undo". 

Not in front of my computer at the moment, but there's this vague recollection...something about deleting unassigned layers...Perhaps memory is confusing that with something else.

The more thorough solution is a bit of code...search a layer and identify shapes on it first, before deleting.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro