Can I unglue two shapes?

Started by Jennifer, April 12, 2015, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

This comes up a lot. I mistakenly glue one shape (usually a line) to the wrong connection point on another shape. If I grab that connection point and move it, it moves the other shape as well, messing up the image.

It there any way to unglue the line from the shape, so I can glue it to a different connection point?

What I end up doing is selecting the shape, cutting it (Ctrl+x), then pasting it back (Ctrl+c), and reconnecting it. That works, but it a bit of a pain.

It be handy would be able to right-click the connection point and have an Unglue option.

Thanks
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Paul Herber

You can just grab the end of the line or connector and move that (a glued end is usually a red blob). Moving the shape that it's glued to will always then move the line that was glued to it, that is exactly what is was meant to do.
Or you can do an Undo (Ctrl-Z).

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on April 12, 2015, 09:04:57 PM
You can just grab the end of the line or connector and move that (a glued end is usually a red blob). Moving the shape that it's glued to will always then move the line that was glued to it, that is exactly what is was meant to do.
Yes, I think I understand about connectors. I originally came to Visio for flowcharting. But these glue points are not always with connectors. And sometimes I do want to move the shape without moving the line.

It sounds like you are saying that there is no "unglue" function, right?
QuoteOr you can do an Undo (Ctrl-Z).
If you mean right after I glue them together, that would work if I just glued them together. But often I need to change the glue point sometime later.

I could really use an unglue function.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Correct, no big red Easy button that unglues.

Not sure you caught all of what Paul said, so to repeat...in my own words...

1) select the line you want to unglued
2) move cursor to the end you want to unglued.
3) left click on the end and drag it slightly off the shape.  It will be unglued. 

Now, you can
1) move the shape to wherever you want and the line will stay put.
2) with the pencil tool, select the line end, may have to click to get a "plus" sign, now drag the end to wherever you need it.

Depending upon your gluing options, the line will glue.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro