Make a text shape show the same contents in another text shape

Started by vtroia2014, March 25, 2015, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtroia2014

Hello,

I have somewhat of a title block that I created for employees to use as a background on their Visio drawings. This title block requires the person drawing it to enter their last name and the person approving it to enter their last name as well. Most of the time, the person who draws is also the person who approves it. So much for Quality right? So, in other words, they have to enter their name twice. I know...Not that big of a deal right?

When I designed this title block, I did nothing more than drawing rectangular shapes, and placed a text shape in the middle of the rectangular box. I used the 'text' tool. Is there a way to automatically copy the 'contents' of this text shape, once the person puts in their name, to the other text shape so they do not have to enter their name again?

Thanks in advance,

Vince

wapperdude

If you mean the perverbial "Magic" button, no.  But, yes it is possible.  It takes some shapesheet manipulation for text boxes.  It would be easier to upload an example than try and walk thru all of the changes. 

I do have a solution, so, if you're interested, just ask.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vtroia2014

So I figured out how to do what I originally asked, but have couple of other questions.

1)I have a total of two pages in my Visio drawing. On page one there is a rectangle that I drew. On the other page (page two), I want this rectangle to show the exact same way it is shown on page one. If I make a change to the rectangle on page one, lets say that I rotate it to the right, I want the rectangle to show exactly the same on page two. In other words, I want the rectangle on page two to be linked to the rectangle on page one so any changes that are applied to the rectangle on page one will update the rectangle on page two.
I know how to do this with text box data. I used the following formula for that:
SHAPETEXT(Pages[Page-1]!sheet.3!TheText)
However, this will not work for the properties of the shape (size, rotation, etc.). Does anyone know what formula I would use?
2)Also, along these same lines, how do I do this within the same page?