Isometric Piping Stencils: Example Drawings

Started by Stefan, January 13, 2009, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhuravsky

Part 2 of 2

Try cylinder shape and crossover pipes between IPC and LPC.

vojo

cant seem to open either drawing.  Are you sure they posted correctly

Paul Herber

Quote from: vojo on February 20, 2009, 01:51:02 PM
cant seem to open either drawing.  Are you sure they posted correctly
It seems to be a multi-part (spanned) zip but there is only one part in the file.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

first file:   corrupted
second file:   unzipped==>launch started==>then nothing (waited 5 min before closing)

zhuravsky

Sorry guys,
I file itself is bigger than permitted 500 KB. I packed that file in FreeCommander with multiple volumes option. Unfortunatelly, I have no other software to split archive and try again. So, I've deleted some shapes from VSD file to reduce a size (even generator and some valves, :( ). Try this:

Stefan

I think the steam turbine drawing is excellent, very detailed drawing, attached is another from my collection. If anyone would prefer the Visio file, drop me a post
Stefan

sealight

Quote from: vojo on January 14, 2009, 05:00:15 PM
actual basic shapes....note also includes light source and reference....just right click shape
Excellent Work!

I've notice however that corner rounding produces a not very realistic effect... the corners don't seem right on rectangles.

vojo

corner rounding only works right when two of the 3 dimensions is 0.   In essence, there is a check to in each of the 3 shapes to see if one of the 2 pertinent dimensions for that shape is 0...if so...shape is hidden.  other subshapes behave normally.   So in essence rounding really works for "planes".

The problem stemmed from the fact that each subshape has different edges so the rounding is respective to their edges.  So rounding a 3D gets you rounding in 2D along 3 axis (sort of double "bumps" on each corner where subshapes meet).

If you want to build something 3D with rounding, you might want to look at the manifolds.  They will allow you to round corners and arc the edges.  Use several to build your 3D shape (they have light source if I remember correctly as well).   When down, group them and go.

I still have not gotten around to making manifolds like "legos" yet...aka connect them up via connection points.   

sealight

Quote from: vojo on March 25, 2009, 04:45:40 PM
(...)So in essence rounding really works for "planes".(...)
Even for "planes" it doesn't seem right. The perspective is not right on rounded corners.
Look at this:

vojo

There are a couple of things to consider here.

1. curved corners are based on the entire shape dimensions (this is a visio thing...not me)
   for example....your picture on the left, that manifold is set at 50mm x 50mm...so rounding uses that
   to make symmetric bends.   if the you make the manifold like the one on the right...50 x 25, rounding
   behaves as you expect.
2. for both manifolds and the iso blocks...this is true.

attached allows you to play with this to see for yourself

sealight

Quote from: vojo on March 26, 2009, 01:45:24 PM
There are a couple of things to consider here.

1. curved corners are based on the entire shape dimensions (this is a visio thing...not me)
   for example....your picture on the left, that manifold is set at 50mm x 50mm...so rounding uses that
   to make symmetric bends.   if the you make the manifold like the one on the right...50 x 25, rounding
   behaves as you expect.
2. for both manifolds and the iso blocks...this is true.

attached allows you to play with this to see for yourself
The issue is the corners are not symmetric. The corner radius doesn't seem to be the same:
Look:

Visio Guy

Since Visio is a 2D program, it is "mindlessly" applying the same radius of rounding to each corner. Since you are thinking in 3D or in isometric-land, it looks wrong to you. But you can see that the radius of curvature is the same by doing a little test:

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Visio Guy

To limit the rounding, you can add vertices to a shape nearer to the corners.

If you select a shape with the Pencil or Line tool, you can Ctrl+Click new vertices onto the shape's paths:

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

sealight

Quote from: Visio Guy on March 26, 2009, 03:31:06 PM
Since Visio is a 2D program, it is "mindlessly" applying the same radius of rounding to each corner. Since you are thinking in 3D or in isometric-land, it looks wrong to you. But you can see that the radius of curvature is the same by doing a little test:

Thanks for the explanation. Eventually (in the future) Visio will evolve and have better 3D support.

A question:
Where can we find Isometric fonts?
I only know this but it hasn't all symbols (latin)
http://www.geocities.com/piping_isometrics/English/Visio_SetUpIsometricFonts.htm