Using the data feature with Excel

Started by cmarkee, March 11, 2015, 05:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmarkee

Hello,
I have a process flow diagram for a manufacturing process.  My goal is to set up an excel sheet that i can link with the data.  I have done this, made stencils ect so that my diagrams are all similar. 
My problem is I don't want to control two documents.  The excel document will contain additional details for the process routing group.  I want to embed the excel in the visio, make it so when this excel is updated the data can still be updated in visio via the data link. 

cmarkee

Sorry,
maybe my question has been answered or its unclear?

Yacine

Yes, the first glance at your question suggested that you did not do enough own research to understand the data philosophy of Visio.
Reading a little bit more carefully your post, revealled that you stepped into one of Visio's problems:
  the capability to edit the shapes data in a table form in Visio itself.

There could be solutions to overcome this lack, but I wouldn't know of any comfortable solution for this problem.
Nikolay has even written a brilliant solution to synchronize external data with the shapes data (http://unmanagedvisio.com/products/backsync-backward-visio-data-synchronization/),
but it is still not as comfortable as what you are asking for.

I'm not saying that it is not feasable, but you'll have to invest a lot of work to get your wish working.

Regards,
Yacine
Yacine

cmarkee

Thanks Yacine.
If anyone else has suggestions I am open to it.  Fairly new to working with the data features of Visio 2010.

cmarkee

So here is what I have for my shape.  Maybe I am making this too difficult and there is a way to link it to a table inside visio?

Nikolay

Let us know if you are aware of the Visio data-linking?
It's not quite clear from your message.

From Visio MVP videos, part 8, linking shapes with data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeLZ0ip_oI

cmarkee

So this box I posted is linked to an excel sheet on my desktop computer.  It uses the work center to reference the rest of the data.
The problem comes when I want to implement this as the standard at work I guess.
Implementing this standard (using the Visio box as a standard for all process flow work centers) we would have to control two documents all the time, at every update.
How can I maintain the Visio file without having two documents.  I want to either incorporate the Visio into the  the excel file, the Excel file into the Visio file or an excel sheet in the visio file that lets me keep this link style update.
Not sure if that makes sense.

cmarkee

Thanks Ill check these out.

Quote from: Nikolay on March 13, 2015, 02:54:23 PM
Let us know if you are aware of the Visio data-linking?
It's not quite clear from your message.

From Visio MVP videos, part 8, linking shapes with data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeLZ0ip_oI

Croc

A little example with Excel, embedded in Visio. The update is performed using a macro.
The ID field is used as unique identifier.
For refreshing of data perform the drop-down menu "Refresh" on the shape with Excel. This will update all shapes, where Prop.ID = ID field in Excel.