Visio Data Set Bahavior

Started by McCandrew, March 03, 2015, 12:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCandrew

Hello,

I rely quite a bit on my Custom Property Managment Data Sets to update my shape data attributes.  Unfortunately, I have not quite figured out the behavior.  When I apply an updated set to my shapes. I expect existing fields with values to be unchanged even if the attribute in the data set is blank.  This happens for the most part, but sometimes my data disappears from a few attributes.  I've been able to refresh some of this data from a non-linked external source which takes additional time...and I may not notice some of the data missing.

Are there any resources that can explain the behavior and rules?  Are there things I should avoid doing with my data set.  (I found that changing the sort order often results in deleting the old data.)  Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
Terrell

cliff50

Hi ,
I am assuming you are using shapes linked to a database.
I am assuming you are using the shapes custom properties <value> cell to accomadate external data.

inspect <Type > cell in the linked shape, I have had problems with string to number conversions ( or vica versa)  getting scrambled.
Also test the "refresh from database" action on the Visio page, this action should overwrite linked custom cell values with the external data.

Cliff