Visio Users Introduce Yourselves!

Started by davidoff, January 11, 2009, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Fransen

Hello everyone,
I'm a Microsoft Office developer (W, E, A, O) and live in Utrecht (NL). I used Visio only as a tool for making flow-charts.
To understand more about Visio, I also started to study this Microsoft product.

dmbalzer

Hi Everyone,
I am an HVAC Controls Engineer in the US (NC) and use visio exclusively to develop our controls submittals (wiring diagrams, network architectures, BOM for ordering parts).  We use an Add-in developed by our parent company, but it is extremely clunky so the past couple years i have been developing my own in VBA. Quite the challenge!

I have used the forum during that time for general help but have recently become more active.

Love the forum!

ncjackson112480

I'm an industrial engineer as well that just ended a tour as a Business Process Architect and Modeler for the Dept. Veteran Affairs Business Architecture Department.

The below story is an excerpt from a specific note where they wanted to hear about my accomplishments and what I had stumbled upon that I no longer have the Accenture flag waving above my head to approach this as a top down initiative and serious problem especially for people like BA at the VHA that had an entire document class of global meta-data objects and library inside RSA that when the licenses were dropped completely disappeared (or powers that be were ignoring the problem)

I have a summary deck of screen shots that illustrate the concept (which sounds easy, but not deciphering meaning of properties as sometimes from is to and to is from and it's mess and probably why they didn't fix it just made a new one).  If I was still in Aerospace and Defense I'd bet every cookie the cookie jar that they hundreds of models in various formats with no solution but for them to be remade to take advantage of Syncing technology. and move forward.  Forgive the extraneous stuff, but it's got the more detailed content that I don't have to rewrite.  I don't think there is a way to upload the deck with the size limits even as a pdf ... if i cut some out of the spreadsheet it might take that ...

I am a formally trained Industrial Engineer and Management Consultant with special skills in a variety of industries and positions. A review of my credentials will confirm my general employment qualifications as well as demonstrate a proven track record for developing and delivering high value services to customers and client organizations.

One of my greatest strengths is my ability to enter a new environment and begin to procure immediate results having both technical and general management skills that are easily transported between different industries and varied working environments. Visio-based Excel applications of VBA being a recent acquired specialty while in my Business Architecture and Modeler role as a contractor to Department of Veteran's Affairs.

In addition to creating and modifying Visio models for my assigned region of VA facilities and the on/off-site elaboration sessions prior to their go-live system integration planning with Cerner EHR, I created a set of programs that semi-automated the companion document required for each of my process models reducing documentation time by 95%*. However, the strong VBA problem solving skills merely serve as an illustration of my refined ability to adapt well and quickly to any preferred set of applications or integration points.

My most subtle (but probably most coveted quality if I had one) would be my ability to recognize transformative value while working as an individual contributor**.  So, I am particularly well suited for roles that have an end-goal but maybe not an actionable plan because that go beyond one system or process. Where executive's may have given approval or taken special interest in a business problem, but a solution design or integration plan is what they are looking to this new resource to identify, analyze, propose, manage or execute options and possibly provide them with work around or ad-hoc solutions in the meantime.

*I am currently completing a prototype of a Visio Process Model Master Metadata Manager utilizing a prebuilt framework I've created via SQL Server, Dev Express, and Visual Studio designed specifically for solution architected designs to be 'rapid prototyped' while simultaneously providing a DevOps team with a detailed simulation of the working functional and technical requirements yet giving users and the business an interim gap application to meet mission-critical needs.

** commercially there is no solution available in the marketplace for the ability to ETL pre-Visio 2016 models into a useful form like Excel, or the ability to auto-write-back any desired changes to Visio models without manually applying them or having the applications/files linked directly. Secondly, a by-product of the algorithm that I created to derive the relationships needed to create my process model summary report (PMSR) required an interim table that after a minor reformat is the Excel spreadsheet data necessary to recreate a Classic Visio model into a 'data-driven model' from scratch using the new Visio Data Visualizer feature and wizard that leaves the data and Visio model permanently "synced." However, Microsoft did NOT provide a conversion feature, so the commercial applications of the solution itself might have use in my next position or business network.

Dan999

Hello

I work in City Utilities (water and sewer), have very little (nil) experience with Visio, however am required to do a high level map of the cities sewer infrastructure that includes sewer pump stations, sewerpipe mains (just the big ones) and a few other bits.

Am hoping to find some direction as to how to pull down city utilities type shapes (mainly sewer but also water storage reservoirs, water mains, pump stations) if they even exist. Alternatively find out how i can draw them if possible.

thank you

Paul Herber

ShapeSource do a set of stencils that may do what you want.
https://www.shapesource.com/water-wastewater-visio-stencil-set

The users here are always ready, willing and (hopefully) able to assist newcomers to Viso.
Please ask.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

bmalak

Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I live near Detroit, MI. I currently working as an intern while pursuing a degree in electrical engineering. I began using visio in June and have enjoyed using the program and learning more about it each day. I have been using Visio Guy for help since my first day and am excited to join this helpful community.  :)

LunJep

Hi.

Been working with MS Visio for a while, but first started to look in to working with formuals.
And hope to learn a lot from your experts.

br. LunJep

Crystal Sugar

Hello I'm a newbie technical writer for a sugar company. We make sugar out of sugar beets.

We use Visio to show the flow of liquids through the sugar making process.

I have very little experience with Visio and I am looking forward to learning how to be more effecient in making process flow diagrams.

Thanks,

Visisthebest

Welcom Crystal Sugar there is a lot of expertise on this forum to help you!
Visio 2021 Professional

bossi

Henlo frens ,
I ended up using Visio as the only real visualization tool out there,,,  taking some time off to learn the more advanced features . Visio ftw ! 

OldDogNewVisio

I work for a large international corporation that uses Visio for their SharePoint sites.  I was just tasked with the maintenance and updates of our departmental SharePoint site so here I am.  I am brand new to Visio, although I do have experience using VB for MS Access and MS Excel.  Looking forward to the learning.

Thanks,
ODNV
I may be an Old Dog, but I'm willing to learn new tricks!!

ilovekorn

Hello!!!!!

I am in the United States and work for a building automation controls company for HVAC systems.

I use visio everyday, and I am currently working here while in college.
I am trying to learn more about smart shapes and shape sheets!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum has already been such a big help! ;D ;D ;D
|>falling away from me...<|

gyd

G'day everyone

I'm a Telecoms Engineer, working as a project manager, engineer and teamleader at an electrical engineering office in Bern, Switzerland.
I've been using Visio since the early 2000's. I'm the Visio super user for our office and I'm regularly confronted with questions that go far beyond my horizon, reason why I'm constantly looking for answers and to improve my Visio knowledge.

I'm also a woodchopper and Timbersports Athlete, but that has nothing to do with Visio.

Cheers
Dom

Davidpol

Hi Everyone,

Owned an EMR company for 45 years that I sold to Harris Software. Avid Visio User for many years.
Develop Visio VSS templates for Basketball diagrams. It was used by NY Jets and the Houston Rockets 
I attached a Rar file.

David Pollack