Visio Users Introduce Yourselves!

Started by davidoff, January 11, 2009, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Herber

Hi Chris, could you do a smaller version of your pool picture that will fit on my normal sized screen? !!!

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Don Visio

Here you go... 8.5 x 11.  I guess this is better.  I'm still new at this.

What do you think?
Don Visio

Godfather of Rendering
CW

Paul Herber

Every home should have one, or two!
Was the 8 X 11 Equip Set created with Visio?

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

Don Visio

Yes, Sir... both were rendered with Visio.

I have more impressive pdf's but they are larger than the mas allowed to upload.
Don Visio

Godfather of Rendering
CW

Paul Herber

Very impressive. Saving as a GIF or PNG from Visio might give a better file that can be posted here.

Don Visio

You know  :-\, I thought about that, but to fit all of the info that I'm dealing with on to an 8 x 11 sheet... the resolution gets distorted.  You don't have the opportunity to zoom in to see the detail.

Guess that's why my first post was so huge  :o.  Sorry bout how big it was, btw.

Anyway, I'm looking to learn to take my renderings to the next level.  I want to add custom properties to my master stencil and generate material lists & cost analysis through the report feature.

I'm struggling to find readable articles, how to, or help info that weren't written by a software engineer... They wouldn't get my explanation of Total Dynamic Head Pressure and I'm not getting their approach to custom properties. ???

Chris
Don Visio

Godfather of Rendering
CW

davidoff

great work don,
is it scaled ? how did you managed the dimensioning in 3rd coordinate ?
i know that visio is able to make dimension in 2 axes, X and Y

Don Visio

Yeah, it's 98% scaled & 2% hand-drawn in Visio.

With regard to how... My drafting teacher in highschool would be proud (15 yrs later). He did teach me something!  :D

Isometric drafting is the answer. On paper with pencil or Vdrwg Page, the 2d tricks to add depth are the same.

5yrs ago I took a refresher course; I bought Drafting for Dummies!  ;D

Here's a smaller/less detail project I just finished recently.
Don Visio

Godfather of Rendering
CW

ekb

Eric Here.  Located for the last two decades in Columbus, IN which is near Indianapolis in the US.

I have been using Visio since 1992 which is probably around Visio 2.0.  My main focus is on software and systems for automotive electronic control systems.  My two favorite diagrams are wiring harnesses (aka looms) and Simulink style control software schematics. 

Although I am sure he doesn't remember me, I met Chris at the Visio Developer's conferences circa 1997 and 1998.

Tim G-J

Hi I'm Tim

Currently sitting in the middle of the North Sea listening to our foghorn.

Ive been in the Oil & Gas industry for some time, using Visio since v.2 for Telecom/IT/Network Engineering drawings, as changes usually happen faster than the Drawing Office can cope with.

Constantly suprised to see how far people can push the package into new territory.

Phaedrus68

Hi,

I'm Mark.

I've been using 2003 for basic flowcharts at work, but realised that I could use it to create plans for my kitchen extension  :D  and a few other things.

Thanks for creating this resource.

Mark

jonmcnally

Hi, I use Visio to create process maps and other diagrams at a business in Portland, Oregon.  I've frequently referred to Visio Guy's tips but am new to the forums.  Thanks for this resource.

TLGalenson

;D

I'm Tom from Lawrence, KS, USA.  I was born here and have returned here.  Inbetween I have lived in Cleveland, TN; Charleston, WV; Toledo, OH; Ann Arbor, MI; Southbend, IN; Louisville, KY; Reston, VA and Raleigh, NC.  Not necessarily in that order.  I have also driven an 18 wheeler over most of the midwest, south east and south west and occasionally along parts of the top tier of the US.

I'm something of a computer geek and former bbs sysop.  Never did completely stop there: http://www.chatnfiles.com with telnet chatting and 500,000+ downloads (shareware/freeware).

Anyway, I have picked up Visio 2003 because it is the LCD that Business Analyst's work with besides the Microsoft Office Suite.  I am chiefly interested in using it for "Easy Visual Use Cases."  And to learn how to "do" UML 2.2 on it.  I just stumbled over a free BPMN addon that you can put the UML 2.2 Stencils from another website in there too.

I have also finally found a Visio tutorial that uses UML as its teaching tool.  If its any good my major goal has been accomplished.  Something that will jointly teach me a bit of Visio and UML at the same time.

Don't get me wrong.  I learned how to do Flowcharts manually back in 1971 or '72.  And I need to learn to do "Wire Frames" with it or else do them on a WYSIWYG html editor.  So is there a good tutorial on Wire frames someplace?  I am interested in a good beginners book, "the best" instructional video or cbt course and of course a great Visio & UML tutorial.

Its freezing around here at the moment.

Tom Miller
Analyst/Programmer & I.T. Consultant
http://bluecollar.chatnfiles.com

Jumpy

Hi all,
I've made a few posts already and I think it's time to introduce myself and explain my many questions  ;D

I'm Ralph from Mönchengladbach (it's near Düsseldorf and Cologne) in Germany and started an apprenticeship in the IT-Support-Section of a small startup company, which is a supplier for special items in heating systems, four month ago.

Part of our Service for our partners is to provide them with plans and maps of how to integrate our products into a heating system.
This is done with the drawing tools in Microsoft Word, of all things, and looks like the example below (made in word and converted to jpg via paint, therefore the bad quality).
A drawing of this kind with word is cubersome and costs hours, especially because word crashes 2-4 times a day.

My first project in this company is to learn Visio and to than develop a Visio based solution for our technicans to make this plans and I want to make this easy, fast and intuitiv. Therefore my many questions here.

I've done a little bit work with Access Databases, so I know a bit VBA, but I have to learn Visio's Objekt Model.
I have no expririences with other programing languages, although I've startet learning plain C in school.

So I hope you accept me as your padawan  ;D

DM2

Hello ya'll,
I'm new to VISIO and am using 2007.  I finally broke down and purchased a copy.  I usually use Adobe Acrobat PRO to do presentations but was encouraged to embrace VISIO because of the many other features that it has.  The presentations I make look good when printed and don't look bad on screen until you zoom in and see the short comings of Acrobat to do these presentations.  Normally what I do is take an existing drawing (converted from AutoCAD to PDF) by someone, and annotate it with misc. info.  I'll also start from a blank PDF title block page, and develop what I'll call an "Pictogram".

I've been surfing the web and looking for resources.  This seems to be by far the best.  I've been over to Visio Cafe and seen some interesting stuff but this site is fantastic.  I enjoy the sharing of thoughts, idea's and work...

Like Chris, I'm from the rainy Northwest as well (Tacoma Actually), but am originally from Germany, so his post below strikes a cord with me.

Quote from: Visio Guy on January 13, 2009, 12:03:12 AM

I'm Chris (aka: Visio Guy). I'm from (also rainy) Seattle, but have been living in Munich, Germany since 2003.

So far I've just been being a lounge lizard trying to absorb the information.  I'm trying to create a title block at the moment, that resembles our companies standard AutoCAD title block.  I'v tried using some of the Visio parts and pieces (sorry not yet conversant in the Visio Lingo yet) but am not getting the results I want on my 11 x 17 paper, at a 1 to 1 scale.  It would appear that I'll have to resort to creating most of it from scratch.

I've been following along with the threads, and trying to get ideas on how I can apply what I've read with what I typically do (i.e present ideas and concepts for fire protection).  I've read that Visio isn't a 3D program and while this particular section of the forum may not be the place for this tidbit, is it possible to write code to make a symbol that sat on top of another symbol, smart enough to "Move Back" and "Change Shape" so that it has the appearance of being 3D?  I'm thinking about a cylinder valve with a gauge for example, where the gauge is facing forward, until the cylinder valve is rotated (where is changes shape), until it eventually disappears behind the valve?

Anyway..., some pointers on title blocks would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dan
-------
"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."
Regards,
Dan
-------
"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."