Visio Users Introduce Yourselves!

Started by davidoff, January 11, 2009, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niva

Hi,

I'm an occasionaly french user of Visio 2013, using it for its data-graphic feature to display network architecture of more than 200 machines.
I need some help to create more concise graphical data.

wapperdude

...and on those other occasions, when you're not French, what might you be?   ???

On a serious note, post a more detailed question in one of the other areas of the forum.  This introduction area doesn't draw very much attention.  So, re-post your last question, say, in the General  Visio topic, and include what you mean by more concise.

Cheers,
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Whoops!  My bad.  This is General Visio area...the title threw me off...sorry. :P

What I meant was, start a new topic. ::)
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

Hey Ken

Hey, folks:

Well, since I've been posting here for years and lurking many years more, I figure it's way past time I introduced myself.

First off, I love Visio.  I discovered it in 2003, and it set me free from the tyranny of graph paper, green plastic IBM flowcharting stencils, and Leroy Lettering kits. 

Visio was crucial to the commercialization of the three US Patents I hold, because before Visio there was no way to easily draw models of its internal workings, let alone the data and process models it renders.  But with Visio, things have progressed to the point where today I'm using Visio's VBA back end as the operating system to automate the patents' creation and execution of hierarchical process flows and data, not to mention using it for more mundane things. 

Professionally, I started my technical career at the tender age of 17 as a contract COBOL programmer for the Bank of New Jersey, way back in the era of punch cards and paper tape, eventually evolving into a systems programmer coding in assembler.  After joining Toastmasters in 1997 I acquired the necessary speaking and leadership skills to transition to business analysis and business architecture, which is where I remain today.

I'm also pretty busy outside of IT as a professional public speaker, author, and prominent political figure, and I'm typically the first hit in search engines when searching on my last name alone.

There is a lot more I could say, but probably the most important introductory remark I could make to readers of this forum is to say Thank You!  It's here that I learned about shapesheets, VBA, and all the other esoteric details that make Visio dance so artfully.  Chris, John, Paul, Yacine, Wapperdude, June, Nikolai, Aledlund, and so many others, I'm in your debt.

Be seeing you,

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

Cindrich

Hi everybody, I'm Dan and I'm an alcoholic.

Oh, wrong forum.  ehem.

A/V guy here from Calamafornia.  Been doing schematics, rack elevations and floor plan layouts for about 6 years now using various iterations of Visio.  Currently in 2013.  Never really did much with shapesheets or linking data until recently.  It's pretty groovy.  Definitely challenging.  I'll be picking all your big brains for help from time to time. 

Yikes,
D

Cromme123

Hi Everybody,

I'm Peter and I'm a newbie for Visio. I'm a Dutch guy and live in Belgium. I'm working as a quality assurance manager in a manufacturing company.
I always made process maps in Visio, but now I want to go into the next step of getting data into my maps and link those maps to our document control software.
Unfortunaltely I'm also a newbie on VBA. That's a hard thing to crack.
I hope I get a little bit of your help on this.
Thanks in advance.  :D

Best regards,

Peter

SubPlanner

Hey Cromme123

I am kinda a newbie also but I have cracked some of what you might be getting into.
I could not have done it without the help of the Pro's in this forum.

Look for stuff under my name, that may be a good place to start.

SubPlanner

linda.goulet

Hello!  I am a new user.  My name is Linda Goulet and I am in Montreal, Canada ... today, a sunny and cold city  ;D.  I work in a small financial services organization.  My mandate is to document and improve processes.  VISIO is one of my new best tool!  I will mostly ask questions for now but who knows, I may one day help someone else  :P

keubel

I am not yet a visio user but would like to become one if it can do what I want it to do.  I appreciate being able to contact other users.

Years ago there was a little program part of Microsoft/Windows Draw.  I could create a motif.  I could block that motif or part of it.  Then I could tile it out on that program.  Subsequent versions of Windows later that program disappeared.  I am searching, so far in vain, for a program that will to the same or similar think.  I want to create a motif.  I want to be able to flip and rotate motifs, to combine motifs and to create a square of other squares that I can then tile out to see what that motif does on the page.  is this possible with visio?  I don't know what to call it.  I don't know if I am using the wrong language.  I don't want bathroom tiles, or a program where I select designs and colors that they provide.  I just want to make a grid of random squares and then see what that produces.  Any information would be great appreciated.  Thank you.  Keubel

Yacine

Quote from: keubel on January 21, 2016, 05:36:31 PM
I am not yet a visio user but would like to become one if it can do what I want it to do.  I appreciate being able to contact other users.

Years ago there was a little program part of Microsoft/Windows Draw.  I could create a motif.  I could block that motif or part of it.  Then I could tile it out on that program.  Subsequent versions of Windows later that program disappeared.  I am searching, so far in vain, for a program that will to the same or similar think.  I want to create a motif.  I want to be able to flip and rotate motifs, to combine motifs and to create a square of other squares that I can then tile out to see what that motif does on the page.  is this possible with visio?  I don't know what to call it.  I don't know if I am using the wrong language.  I don't want bathroom tiles, or a program where I select designs and colors that they provide.  I just want to make a grid of random squares and then see what that produces.  Any information would be great appreciated.  Thank you.  Keubel

Hi Keubel,
If you are purely after graphic functions, you may want to try Inkscape. Google it. It's free.
Yacine

FlowerGirl

Hey people, I am FlowerGirl.
Florida is home for me.
I am just starting to use Visio in my new job and found this forum.
Looks like a great place for Visio knowledge.
I hope I can lean in from time to time to get a little help.

Thanks a bunch.
FlowerGirl   

grg001

My name is Glenn. I have followed this page for some time, but never registered before. I used to think I was a Visio pro, until I found that page and realized I was only scratching the surface of its many tools. Thanks for creating this site, it has definitely upped my game in creating Visio drawings.

That being said, has anyone ever created a digital document or portfolio of their drawings to attach with their resume to send to prospective employers? Not sure if Visio has something I can use, or if I should use Power Point or Word to insert pictures in an organized portfolio.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Glenn

quigtj@gmail.com

Hi, I'm a Software Engineer having build web applications for close to 20 years.  I've used Visio for a long time for everything from application flow charts to web diagrams to building diagrams for network topology.  I love this tool...people look at me like I have 3 heads when I say I like to use Visio.

:D
----------------------------------
When in doubt, Visio it out.

Yacine

Quote from: quigtj@gmail.com on March 14, 2016, 07:27:11 PM
I love this tool...people look at me like I have 3 heads when I say I like to use Visio.
:D
I shouldn't say this, but I understand you so much. :D
... and very prolific start. Welcome.
Yacine