Why does Visio show two different digit separators (. or ,) in the shapesheet?

Started by Visisthebest, April 23, 2024, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

I notice in the shapesheet Visio converts a cell reference in a user cell with say 0.25 (so 1/4) to a 0,25 in the shape data cell that references the cell. This is in the shapesheet not just in the shape data editor.

It is a bit confusing because if you enter say a 0,50 in to the shape data shapesheet cell I do get an error.

It uses commas yet you will get an error if you do so as well in a shape data shapesheet cell.

I think I overlooked this before, I wonder if it could cause issues I'm not anticipating but should be aware of.
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on April 23, 2024, 02:01:40 PMIt is a bit confusing because if you enter say a 0,50 in to the shape data shapesheet cell I do get an error.
I use Visio and MS Windows with Russian interface. I get same error too!
What about peoples with EN-US locale? 

wapperdude

Technically, yes.  But it would be expected as decimal separator is always a period in English system.  I suspect that since Visio internally uses English system, then, within shapesheet enties, it would expect the period. Haven't tried to change the language and/or the separator.  There was a discussion, not too long ago, related to this, but don't recall specifics.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on April 23, 2024, 04:15:07 PMThere was a discussion, not too long ago, related to this, but don't recall specifics.
Do you mean this thread?

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

It is not an issue, it is a feature.

Shape Sheet is considered developer tool, and uses the "internal" locale (i.e. English)
Shape Data window is considered a user tool, and uses the system locale (i.e. German)

English: "0.25" (dot as separator)
German: "0,25" (comma as separator)

This is just according to the language grammar rules.
English-speaking people are actually using dot to separate the decimal (fractional) part, even in real life!

Here is an interesting map of "dot people" vs "comma people"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator

Visisthebest

Nikolay yes it is also a feature, but for this: in the shapesheet cells of the shape data section, floating point numbers put in directly are written like 0.50 while numbers from things like a reference to a user cell are written 0,50. Not just in the shape data editor UI but also in the shapesheet.

You get dots and commas mixed in the shapesheet.
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

Wow!  It is a feature!!!  Since I only use English, I cannot indulge in such benefits.   :o  Poor me.  ::)   ;D  ;D  ;D 
Visio 2019 Pro