Visio "I/O Point" under HVAC Controls (Metric), the "User Name" does not move

Started by HVACQuestionz, February 01, 2015, 01:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVACQuestionz

I will try to explain as clearly as I can, as it will probably be confusing.

Under HVAC Controls (Metric), there is a stencil called "I/O Point". When I want to add the label for the point, for example, "Temperature", I will double click it and input the word "Temperature" in the username.

That's great. Now I want to reposition the line so that it does not overlap any details that were already on the page. There is a yellow diamond on the line that I put into the page. When I click the yellow diamond and reposition it, the wording does not move with the yellow diamond.

I would like to have the wording follow where the "triangle" is on the I/O Point. I have seen this in Visio 2003, and I don't want to keep copying and pasting the stencil from one project to another. Could someone help?

Thanks.

Paul Herber

That (yellow) control point is for adjusting the bend in the connecting line. The text on the shape doesn't have a control point locate the text. The text can be moved though, you need to select the shape, then select the Text Block tool. This will outline the text area and allow you to move it. When done click the Pointer Tool to revert to normal mode.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

HVACQuestionz

I understand that.

To put it simply, when I move the (green) control point, it will move the whole stencil. This includes the text. I want that text to be controlled by the (yellow) control point.

I don't want to have to re-adjust the text every time I move the (yellow) control point.

I have seen this done in another visio file, made from visio 2003. The text would be fixed at a certain distance above the line, and whenever I adjust the (yellow) control point, the text would move with the line.

HVACQuestionz

Reviving old thread in hopes that someone has a solution with the 2016 vs the old.

I noticed that with the different versions of visio, the properties of this I/O point does not carry over. For example if I pulled a new I/O from visio 2016, it would behave differently than version 2010.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

HVACQuestionz

Hi Paul,

1. When using the I/O point under HVAC Controls - when you change the user name, the user name is to the right of the line. This is not much of an issue, as I can move the text. I would much prefer it to on the left of the line. But this becomes a bit tedious if you have to do it for many I/O points (we're talking hundreds).

2. When you move or adjust the line, the text would automatically re-position to remain on the left side of the line. Here, it does not move at all. I've taken a screen capture of what I am talking about.

I'm wondering if there are any tips where I can make these changes and set them as default?
Link https://imgur.com/98u0aJb

HVACQuestionz

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

@HVACQuestionz:  V2019 Pro...same observed behavior.  The position is relatively static.  Hozontal position is relatively fixed.  Vertical is basically centered on line length.  That's the way it is designed. 

Pretty much unfriendly.
Visio 2019 Pro

HVACQuestionz

Quote from: wapperdude on March 12, 2019, 06:07:54 PM
@HVACQuestionz:  V2019 Pro...same observed behavior.  The position is relatively static.  Hozontal position is relatively fixed.  Vertical is basically centered on line length.  That's the way it is designed. 

Pretty much unfriendly.

Thanks wapperdude. I was hoping someone is a visio wizard and knows the ins and outs of the properties we can modify to achieve the goal.

Paul Herber

I'll be able to do some comparisons soon, but I'm a bit snowed under with another project at the moment ...

wapperdude

There are several things you can do...
1) Edit the "masters" in the document stencil.  The changes will flush upward into the shapes on the drawing page.
2) write some code to search for the IO shape and re-position the text
3) create a custom shape and save to a new stencil, and then replace the shapes with the new shape.
     a) create shape that has text locacted as desired
     b) create shape that keeps the text located on or near the path with a control point for easy positioning.

...but I'm no Visio wizard.
...and I'm not a mind reader
Visio 2019 Pro

HVACQuestionz

Thanks wapperdude. Unfortunately I'm not savvy on how to write this code. I'm trying to see if there is any possibility to make adjustements to properties that visio already has offered to achieve the design it had in earlier versions. I'm not sure why they had to change what was already working well..

HVACQuestionz

Finally figured it out. Had to patiently go through the Shape Sheet, but have now set it up to be nearly identical to how it behaved in previous versions.

1. You will first need to be in Developer Mode.
2. Select the default I/O point from your stencil and drag it onto the Visio Page.
3. Firstly, I would write something in the "Username" textbox so that you can see where the text is being positioned.
4. Next you want to LOCK the text to be as low as possible, and to the left of the vertical line at a fixed distance.
5. Enter the Shape Sheet of that stencil you wish to edit, and locate the section called "Text Transform"
6. Look for TxtPinY. By default this would say "Height*0.5". Change it to "Height*0.12" where i found to be as close to the original position as possible.
7. Next you want to lock the text so that the text will move left and right at a distance when you reposition the line horizontally. Locate "TxtPinX". By default it will probably say "TxtHeight*0.5". Replace it with "Controls.Row_1+TxtHeight*-0.75" where Controls.Row_1 specify where the line is currently at. When you reposition the line, this value will change. TxtHeight*-0.75 will move the text to Controls.Row_1, and then move the text further to the left by "TxtHeight*-0.75".
8. Now save this to a new template and save your template!

I hope that this makes sense to everyone who was frustrated with how Microsoft decided to change what wasn't broken without any potential fix.

HVACQuestionz

Also you will need to look for the Text Transform section and under "TxtLocPinX" where the default is "TxtWidth*0.5", change it to "TxtWidth*0+0.05".