how to space lines in a paragraph-EVENLY?!

Started by alk, January 27, 2015, 08:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alk

How to I space a few lines in a text box evenly- if one or two of the lines have text with subscript Visio will automatically compensate and increase the Spacing between lines, I DON'T want that effect,I need all the lines to be evenly spaced?!
Here is an example:
EEEEE
EEEEE
EEEEE

wapperdude

I'm using V2007 and cannot replicate the problem.  I typed in 4 lines in a text box, added a subscript to the 2nd line, and a superscript to the 3rd line, both at the same position in the line such that they could conceiveably overlap.  Line to line spacing remained constant and the two offset scripts show fine.  Using default spacings.  Tried this with Arial and Comic Sans font faces.

Perhaps you can upload a Visio file with mis-behaving text example?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

alk

You are correct, except that I forgot to mention that the normal text is at 14 points, minimum patent office requirement, and the subscript I have to increase to 18 points, otherwise it is too small, that is where the problem starts, I could push everthing up to 18 points, then the lines will all be even, but the text too large. See attached.

wapperdude

I don't believe you can avoid that behavior...MS Word behaves the same way (Office 2010).  The problem appears to be that font size sets the line height, regardless of its position, i.e., normal, subscript, or superscript.  You can see this if you select just the subscript character.  The selection highlight isn't just the immediate character itself, but is the entire line height that is needed to accommodate all of those positional cases.  Basically, one character spot does all.  So, at least, within the context of these MS products, looks like that's the way it is.

Haven't tried it, but, it's possible that increasing the line spacing will minimize the effect, perhaps even eliminate it.  But, the penality would be very widely spaced lines I suspect.  My guess, your 14 pt font would need the equivalent of 18 pt line spacing.  Even then, no guarantees.

Wapperdude

Edit:  MS Word allows the option to set line spacing at a fixed amount, e.g., 14pt, rather than 120%.  That seems to avoid the "proportional" spacing introduced by the subscript.  Visio doesn't appear to have that option.

Edit2:  Eureka!  Open the shapesheet for the text box.  Scroll down to the Paragraph section.  In the SpLine cell, enter 18 pt, or whatever size you want.  That should solve your problem.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I could think of a smart shape that would split its text over a number of sub-shapes.
The "super" shape would space evenly the sub-shapes, which in turn display their text independently from other lines.
If the line height of the sub-shapes depends upon the existence of a subscript character, then its position could be recalculated.
Just a thought,
Yacine
Yacine

alk

Sounds like a good idea WapperDud, please point me in the right directions, I have no idea what a ShapeSheet is or where to find it?

alk

wapperdude- I googled around and worked it out, finally I can space my projects neatly! Great find, thanks again.

alk

I have discovered that I do not even need to work through the shapesheet, it is possible via FORMAT>TEXT>PARAGRAPH>SPACING> just type over 120% with 18pt and press enter.