Visio Shapesheet data to Excel

Started by Miki, January 26, 2015, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miki

Hi,
I am trying to create a database file that can be linked to shaped and then the data from the shapesheet can be exported to same or another excel file.
I was able to achieve the former one i.e. creating a datarecordset and linking the data to a shape.
I do not know if there is a way to export the "Shape data" or "User-defined" data from a shapesheet to an excel file.

So my question is, is there a way to export the shapesheet data? If so, can somebody please guide me through it.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
- Miki Gajjar

Thomas Winkel

Hi,

export to another excel file is possible with "shape reports".
Export to the same file or in a specific format is only possible with VBA.

Regards,
Thomas

Miki

Thanks Thomas and Surrogate for your inputs. These looks like probable alternates for what I want to achieve.

Miki

Another question:
Is it possible to change the "external data" in visio itself and in turn update it in the parent file from where the external data is coming?
For e.g.: I have an excel spreadsheet with Column A being type of cargo and Column B being percent of that cargo. Once attached to visio, can I change the a value in Column B in visio so that it will change in excel file as well?

- Miki Gajjar

Miki

This is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Thank you so much Nikolay. You're the best!!!!

- Miki

Miki

I don't know why but I cannot install the add-in that Nikolay suggested.
Nikolay, is it possible to do this using VBA?

Nikolay

What happens if you try to install? I.e. what error you get?

Nikolay

It looks like you cannot download files with the ".deploy" extension for some reason (maybe it is blocked by your internet provider/some antivirus software?)

Can you try the same thing from some other computer?

Nikolay

If the above dos not succeed, you can download a zipped version (attached to this post) - the same thing, but zipped.

First unzip,
then first run (double-click) the "runMeBeforeSetup.bat" file (to set location)
then run setup.exe

Miki

Perfect.
Installed and tested. Works now.

Thanks for your help Nikolay.