Multiple layouts for data graphic

Started by Wim_G, January 15, 2015, 01:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wim_G

Hi,
After searching the web, including this forum, I did not find an answer for the following question:

In short: I would like to create multiple different layouts for the data graphic while linking data from an external source.

More elaborate:
I would like to create a network diagram with linked data using an Excel file. I know how to link the data, modify a shape's data graphic to display which fields I want, how and where I want them, link the data to the shapes and so on.

The thing I'm struggling with is that I would like to create multiple different data graphic layouts. However, each time I try to create a different layout for a different shape, all the others change along with it.
I tried creating different master shapes but I'm either doing something wrong or that's not the way either.

As a practical example of what I'm trying (and hopefully succeeding) to explain, consider a network diagram with switches, routers, gateways, wifi-AP's and a host of different vlan's.
The excel sheet contains a lot of information for each device (far more information than you ever need displayed on the diagram like OS version, serial number, warranty, etc) but for a router you want an entirely different set of information displayed (and displayed in different positions/ways) than for example a wifi-AP or a vlan.

So far I managed to create only one layout of the data graphic and any modification is automatically applied to all other shapes.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Wim.

Wim_G

Ok, I started testing in a blank page instead of my network drawing I already had and I think I got this figured out. I don't know if this is expected but nonetheless I find it strange behavior.
I'm sorry if my explanation sounds confusing or not very well structured. I just quickly wrote this out the way I currently have it in my head and didn't take the time to put much structure into it.
(note: I'm using Visio 2010 Premium)

What I (apparently) did wrong:
In my excel I have several fields that I want displayed but are not part of the 'default' data graphic fields. So what I did was first I linked a record to the shape, this allowed me to select and configure the specific fields I want to use.
Then I added another shape where I want to display different fields. Like before I first linked the record I want and then started selecting and configuring the fields I wanted to display.
Using this procedure, a change the data graphic of any shape causes the data graphic of ALL other shapes to change along, no matter what.

How I finally got it to do what I want:
- The excel file (=external source I tested with) may already be linked to the Visio document or not.
- When you placed some shapes on the document and want to link a record and configure the data graphic it is essential that you DO NOT link any records to shapes yet.
- First edit the data graphic and add any random field you want. You can select a single shape or multiple ones you want with the same layout. Selecting multiple shapes will 'group' (for lack of better word) them up as a single layout when editing the data graphic.
- When done and you click 'OK' you will get the message "Do you want to apply this data graphic to the selected shapes"
Do this for all your shapes or group of shapes. If you forgot one and you link a record it will get the same layout as the very first one you did.
- (**) With a record linked to at least one shape in that group you can now edit the graphic data of that shape and add the specific fields from your external source ... all the other shapes in the same group will follow the same layout.
- When done you can link all the records you want to all the shapes you want.

Editing a single shape will modify the layout of all shapes you've put in the same group.
Editing multiple shapes will also modify the layout of all shapes you've put in the same group, it will not create a new group. (in fact I have no idea how to 'break' a group)

If you want to modify the drawing and need to add another shape and it's one you already have on your page, copy/paste that one and link a new record.
If you dragged that shape from the shapes collection on the left it will not automatically get the same layout as the other shapes of the same type and will instead get the same layout as the very first one you did.
If it's an entirely new shape and you want it with yet another layout, then you have to use the same procedure again of editing the data graphic BEFORE you linked a record, otherwise it will get the same layout as the very first one you did and be included in the same group of layouts.

I hope this helps anyone else who runs into the same problem.

Kind regards,
Wim.

edit: I forgot to add one step, edited to add it. (**)

Yacine

Thank you Wim, for the question AND the answer ;).
Yacine