Moving a grouped shapes to a different layer based on the value of a User cell

Started by Alex, January 02, 2015, 04:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi,

I have a group made of a several shapes.  This group has a text.
I defined a layer called ShownShapes and another called HiddenShapes.   I made the latter not visible.

using the visio 2013 GUI (Ribbon > Home > Editing > Layers > Assign to Layer ), I can make my entire group invisible or visible my moving it in or out of the HiddenShapes layer, and that works as expected.

If, however, I try to do the same from my group's ShapeSheet (by setting the cell "Layer Membership" to the appropriate value that references the HiddenShapes layer) only the group's text disappears and the rest of the shapes that are part of the group remain visible.

Btw, I noticed that the GUI has an option (Preserve group member layer) that when ticked makes the assignment behave the same way that Shapesheet is behaving.

Is there any way, without using VBA and without modifying every single shape in the group, to move all the shapes in the group move to a different layer by working only on the group shapesheet (i.e. have shapesheet  behave the same as the GUI) ?   

Your guidance is appreciated!

Alex

Yacine

The matter is, that the modifications don't propagate to the sub-shapes.
Unless you write according formulas in each sub-shape shapesheet, there's no way to do it whithout vba.
By the way, have you read this article?
http://www.visguy.com/2006/09/05/the-hidden-world-of-visio-shapes/
Yacine